Lead safe renovations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my living as a painting contractor and was wondering if anyother contractors or workers are being effected by the new EPA regulations starting in April.I know some aren't aware of the upcoming changes, but was interested if anyone else had taken certification course yet. Questions, comments or critisisms? Thanks

Will One-Shot sign painters enamel that contains lead be effected? Looks like I'll have to buy a bunch pretty quick. I remember when the EPA banned heptachlor (chlordane) back in the 80's. I still have a couple of gallons stashed. EPA: "If it works, let's ban it!" Gary

The government banned lead in paint for homes in 1978, from what I understand it can still be used in factories. What the new laws effects is anyone working in a home or child occupied building who disturbs lead based paint (sanding scraping cutting removing) They have new standards as far as how work must be performed that will addd to the cost of a job. Most people who I have talked to feel it will add 25 % onto a job. Still I did not know that One-shot had lead.

i watched a documentory back when that chinese company was getting flack from lead paint on kids toys.
was all about the effects of lead in lead paint.
what really surprized me, they were claiming an infant would almost have to eat his weight in paint chips to reach a dangerous level of lead (not fatal, just dangerous)

i'd like to know the truth. how much lead is too much lead?

I think its all a scam to get more money out of ya. To get certified you have to spend $200.00 and spend 8 hours listening to some guy tell you how to contain the lead. I install windows and doors for a living and this is what they want me to do. The day before i do the job i have to pull out everything in the room and lay down plastic, tape everything off. Make a plastic bubble outside so none of the neighbors get lead dusted :?. Everything needs to be put in plastic bags before going to the dump. I think 25% added to a job is not enough, but most people around here are broke anyway so its real hard to stick it to them. Oh yea and you have to give your customer a pamphlet from the E.P.A telling them how toxic lead is. IF YOU DONT CONFORM YOU WILL BE FINED! Or stop working on houses pre1978 :mrgreen:
Thanks E.P.A life just got better. Yea right.

maddogrider said:
I think its all a scam to get more money out of ya. To get certified you have to spend $200.00 and spend 8 hours listening to some guy tell you how to contain the lead. I install windows and doors for a living and this is what they want me to do. The day before i do the job i have to pull out everything in the room and lay down plastic, tape everything off. Make a plastic bubble outside so none of the neighbors get lead dusted :?. Everything needs to be put in plastic bags before going to the dump. I think 25% added to a job is not enough, but most people around here are broke anyway so its real hard to stick it to them. Oh yea and you have to give your customer a pamphlet from the E.P.A telling them how toxic lead is. IF YOU DONT CONFORM YOU WILL BE FINED! Or stop working on houses pre1978 :mrgreen:
Thanks E.P.A life just got better. Yea right.

My thoughts exactly, it is like telling them sue me in a few years because I worked in your house. I have already talked to some who still know nothing about changes, some who don't care, and some who say they won't bother working those jobs. Unfortunately this may make it impossible for some peoople to have reliable contractors do work for them.

These are national laws? I know some states like Mass. have strict laws, eeven to sell an older house you need all the trim stripped up to 4 feet! I work for a handyman service, and in this economy, the LAST thing we need is more business killing regulations! -Adam

Back