Learning about Rat Rods!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I just wandered over from the Schwinn site. I have been reading posts here for a couple of days.

I just picked up a 26" boys Schwinn American (I think it's a 1955). I am learning about cleaning it up. But as far as authenticity is concerned, what I really need is a bike I can supplament with an electric motor. I have artheritis, and I need to be able to get to the library, grocery and hardware stores, etc. in my village.

Ergo, since I may destroy the authenticity by adding a motor, and I am fascinated by the creativity I see in the Rat Rods, I want to hang out with you folks also. There is no line on my budget for restoration, and this seems like a fun way to play with some classic bike parts. The old Americans don't appear to be considered "collectable" anyway.

Peg

Welcome aboard Mallard44!

Sorry to hear about your artheritis...that has to be tough.

Sounds like you have a pretty neat bike on your hands...a perfect candidate for a Rat Rod. And to make things even more interesting...a possible motorized version!!!

Do you already have a motor for the bike?

Looking forward to seeing how the project goes.

Wilderness Energy Products makes electric motors for bikes. I have been looking at the options and asking questions.

This whole project is a bit of a challenge. I have been disabled for a long time. I get bored every so often and decide it is time to learn something new. I like to pick a project or course/class that demands learning an entirely new (to me) vocabulary and set of skills. So I will probabaly ask some "stupid" questions.

But I saw this old Schwinn, and had to have it. My old Schwinn DeluxeAmerican is the only "real" bike I ever had. All my bikes, before and after never felt right. So I am hoping to get a taste of that solid comfort again.

I love the idea of being free to add any cool piece I would like to give the bike it's own personality.

Peg

Mallard,

Last year I mounted that motor on my wife's bike. She has the model that requires about 5mph of speed before the motor will kick in. It works like a charm until you come to a steep hill. If you can keep the speed up, no problems, but fall below 5mph and you are dead on the hill with about 40-50 extra pounds of dead weight. Her bike is a MTB with 24 gears so downshifting and keeping the cadence going is the key to avoiding this problem. An old single speed Schwinn in a hilly place probably would not be a good fit for this kit. The range on her bike is at least 20-30 miles.

Wilderness also sells a motor hub with more torque and will start from a complete stop. Better for hilly areas. The range is reduced to around 20 miles, tops. This might be a beter choice for your Schwinn if your area is hilly. But if you live in a flat area, the first motor would be a good choice. Good luck!

Thanks for the "heads up" on that, PastorRat. Is it permissible to post links on this site? I eally need to buy the correct motor.

Latest posts

Back