LED headlight conversion questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow biking addicts...err...connoisseurs.
I'm converting a Puch scooter headlight into LED, and will probably use a flashlight LED array.
How much light should I shoot for? I want it to be bright enough to illuminate the path ahead at night but not blind other bikers or pedestrians.
Is it better to use one LED or multiple? How many lumens is ideal?
Would it be better to just swap out the 6v bulb that came with the light for one of those newfangled LED conversion bulbs?
Thanks in advance.

I like these 32 LED array lights from Harbor Freight. They cost less than $5 and the light unscrews at the lens and the array comes right out. It is very bright so you would have to direct it downward to avoid blinding people.

image_12896.jpg

57580225.jpg

I have also used these 9 LED array lights from Harbor Freight. The LED array is pressed into these lights so getting it out is tougher than the other light, but $3 for two of them is hard to turn down.

image_11988.jpg

Here is a How-To I did a while back
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30397&hilit=+LED

I use the TerraLUX TLE-1F drop in flashlight replacement units that emmit roughly 50 lumens, plenty for night cruising and a lot more light than those inexpensive multi-LED flashlights. They fit a LOT of flashlights. Then I use a 2 or 3 D cell flashlight and Wald flashlight holder.

C005.jpg

A195.jpg

I use a 180 lumin flashlight I get from Menards but Costco and HD hace some 2 pack for $20 that are 150 lumins(about 3watts) they have multiple modes 2 brightness and 2 flash modes. This is about min light needed to See at night on a trail or bike path. The multi led flashes are bright to look at but do not have any where near this amount of light. These use 3 AAA cells I use rechargable Nmh batterys 750mah thet last about 2 1/2 hrs per charge a 1 hr charger is about $20 with 4 batterys i think. I cut the lights up to use the case as nuts for the switch end (contains the electronics ) and for the led puck.

dscf2813l.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-01

Back