lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the title says, post pic's of your old ,original or custom shifters.

heres a couple of mine to get things started.
n.o.s. suntour shifter. i added the filework (chain saw file) and eightball
IMG_0657.jpg

old sportshift 3 speed(sturmey shifter) on an old ccm cougar.
IMG_1245.jpg

another old sportshift(sturmey) found on a few of my bikes. (ccm marauder,ccm avenger)
IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4344-2.jpg

i made this using parts from an old 3 speed thumb shifter welded to the frame. ss and another of those gold eight balls i love so much.
IMG_1503-2.jpg

IMG_1503-1.jpg

and i just started working on this one. gaboon ebony skull, with ss shaft.
IMG_4395-1.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

lets see all those wierd and wonderful shifters. (please and thx)

Heres what I came up with for my 24'' Schwinn Sting Ray. It's the top 8'' of a '66 VW Beetle shift lever. The bottom, I made from flat stock and the frame bracket is from a ten speed Suntour shifter set from the '70's?

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

thats pretty slick! i like it alot. the piece that attaches the cable is a nice touch also, make's it look good and old. :)

I made that cable pivot out of a tin can lid, doubled over, and cut about a 1/2'' wide. The gold color is the inside of the lid. Just drilled a hole for the cable and the pivot. Not too good of a pic. Dang! My bikes got a flat this morning! :cry:

008-1.jpg

Quanah said:
I made that cable pivot out of a tin can lid, doubled over, and cut about a 1/2'' wide. The gold color is the inside of the lid. Just drilled a hole for the cable and the pivot. Not too good of a pic. Dang! My bikes got a flat this morning! :cry:

thx quanah

your linkage gave me a great idea for mine.
IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

Icy, I was gonna use a piece of chrome, (nickle)?, plated chain also, just a link or a few, but didn't come up with a good way to attach the cable. I have a few ideas now and I'm sure you'll work it out. Lookin' forward to seeing your solution!

tallshifter.jpg

Here's my first attempt. cut up shimano 3 speed thumb shifter, bent 3 feet of weldable steel and bolted/welded it to the thumb shifter. i still need to do some more bending so i can get in to all gears while riding :roll: , and find a pineapple grenade for a shift knob 8)

with a login name "kingofpainftw" i expected to see a corrosion of comformity skull on there (all spikey-bound to draw blood)instead ya got a child proofed shifter knob :)

just razzin, i love it. tennis ball included!

haha safety first :roll: , the tennis ball is just a temp until i can decide on the pineapple grenade or revolver.

thought about using an old machette, but figured i'd end up hurting myself. :)

if ya removed the sharp edge, and used the blade of the clever for the shifter handle, a few finger shape notches in the blade, would make it look like it was cutting through all your fingers when ya grapped it. :p

Maybe I shouldn't give up my idea for one, but what the heck, I have been wanting to use one of these WWI german trench knives with brass knuckles for a shift lever. I figure you could heat the blade down low to take the temper out of it so you could drill a hole in it, may have to use a masonry bit, with the tip ground like a metal cutting bit... I know this works on car leaf springs without heat.

BK984.jpg

man those are both sweet shifters.
joker that turned out real sweet. pretty cool the way you went about designing.build it. it was very cool to follow.

Latest posts

Back