LETS SEE YOUR ELGINS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately for Skip he sold me his Elgin, lucky me.

Built up without a tank

0115131652.jpg

Tried a tank, but due to the top bar being so bent it wouldn't fit.

2AA6C085.jpg

Ended up doin a frame swap. And sold off most the other parts.

AC7D2DCC.jpg

Onewheelsqueel said:
Unfortunately for Skip he sold me his Elgin, lucky me.

Built up without a tank

0115131652.jpg

Tried a tank, but due to the top bar being so bent it wouldn't fit.

2AA6C085.jpg

Ended up doin a frame swap. And sold off most the other parts.

AC7D2DCC.jpg

Nice ride! Looks like it will be a blast to ride!

Here is my recently aquired Elgin Project.
7d0879217ccf53859b7fbe1fe7bdb201.jpg

dd75dc7b4a21d11bdaad710e269607fe.jpg

Updated Pic as of 3/19, I swapped out the crank for a Elgin skip tooth crank assembly, flipped the bars and put on some grips, put on a cool Brooks seat and changed out the rims for a set of New Departure Black out hub rims. Bike will be riding on a set of Electra Retro Runners. Skip tooth chain is soaking.
3794d90de68d4906b98d981b0ced6fca.jpg

That's real nice. Needs a dk brown Brooks though :)

This is how I found my first mid 30's Elgin bicycle. I had to cut off the original tires because they had been flat for so long and I couldn't rotate the wheel until I removed them from the rims. The woven skirt guard was tattered and not attached
Elgininfoundcondition_zps40bdc454.jpg
completely.

20140520_193448_zpsded58345.jpg
My 39-53 Murray long tank Elgin custom . Added Elgin skirtguards, full-size solid 39 elgin sprocket , 53 Murray springer , ratty original pinstriped rims with air cooled mussleman hubs , and a super cool 1893 Victor spring saddle post with Special leather saddle . (Enhanced patina) with original parts down to the chainguard and #8 torrington pedals . Part barn find, part hood rat , still in progress .I also have all of the removed original parts if it must be re-assembled as the factory may wish! Hmmmm, should I chrome the trophy sprocket , or not , that is a question ?

Last edited:
Here's my 1939 Elgin I recently picked up. I think the fork is bent. All chrome parts were painted silver; I'm trying to remove the paint to see what's underneath.

Before
zadahyba.jpg

Current
ne8y4uqe.jpg

a2yzube9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back