Lets talk rims and hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so I am putting together a boardtracker and have a few questions on rims,hubs, and wheels.

1) are all 24" rims 28 holes?

2) are all 26" rims 36 holes?

3) If I was going to put a set together will I need to have the correct hub/rim combo in order to find spokes? OR are most spoke sizes available?

4) Will I be able to lace a wheelset? I am pretty good at trueing them.

Thanks in advance.

illMATTic said:
Ok so I am putting together a boardtracker and have a few questions on rims,hubs, and wheels.

1) are all 24" rims 28 holes?

2) are all 26" rims 36 holes?

3) If I was going to put a set together will I need to have the correct hub/rim combo in order to find spokes? OR are most spoke sizes available?

4) Will I be able to lace a wheelset? I am pretty good at trueing them.

Thanks in advance.

Short answers

1)no

2)no

3)it's best if they're the same # of holes and use the same thickness of spokes ... if not it usually gets expensive.

4)if the hubs and rims have the same # of spokes, you know how to figure the length of spokes, your able to get the spokes you need and your just trying to use a traditional spoke pattern, anyone can learn with some time and practice.

Matching hole count and compatible hole diameters on each. I.E. a 105 ga. (heavy Duty) spoke will have a larger diameter hole, than a really common 14 ga. to accomodate it. I would suspect that a hub brake might be more likely to be used with a larger diameter spoke as well.Look at a few hubs to get a feel for what I'm communicating to you. Also, a rim is much easier/safer, than a hub, to drill out for larger spokes, should the need arrise. :wink: Find a spoke calculator online, this will give you an idea of what to measure. This is also the best way to determine proper spoke length.Lastly, don't be afraid to try! :D

Back