Lettering Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few people on my build thread ask for a how to on this, so here it is. sorry there aren't more "in progress pics"
IMAG0493.jpg

While building a gulf racing themed cruiser for my dad I noticed that most of the cars in my reference material had large white lettering on the tires. I liked this look but couldnt find tires In the sizes/price range i wanted with lettering so I took an old hot rodding idea and made them myself.

It was pretty easy. I found the firestone logo in png (format isnt important as long as the quality will be good when you print it) format online and messed with it in MS paint until i got it to the size i wanted. mostly a trial and error of messing with the sizing and looking at its size relative to the page in print preview.
I printed it out on the sticker paper you can buy at office supply stores in the paper section. it has an adheasive backing.
example: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Sticker- ... PID=490429
I used a very sharp utility blade to cut out the lettering and then cut each letter out in a large block. be careful nopt to lose the islands (spaces in letters like O,A,B, etc..). placed these onto the tire.
IMAG0490.jpg

I just eyeballed the lineup and they arent perfect. someone good in photoshop could probably make them at the right curve and eliminate some of my steps. i used blue painters tape to mask the rest of the wheel and the spaces between letters. just hit it with spray paint in flat white. i used a heatgun on low setting from several inches away for a few seconds to set the paint before removing the stencil, but you could always just let it air dry.
i had hoped the stencils would last more than one use but the paper rips easily after it gets painted and i had to make 4 stencils.
I got this idea from a vw website called hoodride a few years back. it was mostly people who like ratty style vws. they had made a stencil in the good year style that said hood ride with a trucker girl replacing the wing foot.
finished product:
IMAG0492.jpg

note you can see my old masking tape and paper behind the wheel here.

I bet it will look even better after a while, if some of the black soaks through the paint. Will look more realistic.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that is so awesome. Well done.

I see me stealing this idea someday.

dont worry about stealing it. i borrowed it myself.
thanks guys, i think it completes this bike.

just thought that perhaps they could be aged a bit by using some paint thinner and dabbing while it was still tacky. maybe on a cotton ball.

we marked the tires on the dragster with white shoe polish. (we do a big white stripe on each side to make sure the rim isnt spinning in the tire bead). 2-3 coats and it lasts for a couple of years. it starts to fade and looks really cool. Someone might want to try it and see how it holds up

Thanks for the tutorial. Yours came out great! I tried doing some whitewalls over gumwalls on some 26x 1-3/8 tires I had. I used "vinyl and plastic" paint and the color was good, but it quickly cracked, before even mounting the tires.

I was wondering exactly what brand of paint you used and what your results are weeks or months down the road.

Thanks
--Rob

this is just rustoleum from wal-mart. the bike has less than a mile on it since finishing so i have no idea how it will hold up. My mom and dad have been riding several miles/day so i dont think it will take long to find out.

Tires look great by the way but I thought I would follow up since it has been an additional 3 months to see how the paint is holding up????

Sorry I did it earlier this month. It hasn't been ridden but just a little for shakedown. Gave it to dad for Xmas yesterday morning and he was thrilled. Too much rain for him to even take a ride yet.

Latest posts

Back