LHD/RHD RES Rear hub needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone,

It's Gig and I am looking to build a cruiser (shocker) with dual chains/chain wheels. I really would appreciate suggestions for rear hubs that will accept dual cogs. I am told the left hand thread freewheels are common for flip flop hubs but not all flip flop hubs will work. Help please. Thank you.

Gig

25f6d0627fa1873c8182dbdbc4487309.jpg

- by Gigmata

Can it be fixed gear? If not, you can try to track down an Odyssey Hazard LHD/RHD flip flop hub (no longer in production, but they still exist) and a 13t Odyssey LHD freewheel (still available new in the UK; might find a used or NOS one in the states....)... You can run a 13t RHD freewheel on the right, but remember it's gonna be metric (it's gotta be... english-thread freewheels are only available 15t and up....and it's hard to find 15t....so that's how the Hazard hub is set up.) It's gonna be expensive and time-consuming to find all of that.

If it can be fixed gear, it'll be cheaper and easier, although the cranks will be tough.... you gotta fab or modify your own, or else you gotta run a tandem crankarm on the left, unless you want to have to tighten the left pedal every couple miles.

I always though dual drive looks cool, but it's an expensive PITA to do it right. IF you do it wrong, it can be cheaper, but it'll be a bigger PITA.

For cranks would 3-piece BMXs doobys not work? I'm sure the last set I had were set up to accept left or right depending which arm you slotted it over and bolted it to...

For cranks would 3-piece BMXs doobys not work? I'm sure the last set I had were set up to accept left or right depending which arm you slotted it over and bolted it to...

It'd totally work, if the leftside crankarm is set up with a boss for the sprocket. Many of them are. It won't work if you just put a right-side crankarm on the left side of the spindle; the pedal will loosen itself constantly. The LHD fad seems to be fading in the BMX world, but the cranks are still readily available. LHD/RHD flip/flop hubs are becoming scarce, though, mostly b/c the BMX world has all but abandoned the thread-on freewheel in favor of cassette drivers. As I probably mentioned upthread, fixed-gear is a surefire and cheap way to side-step that challenge, but not everybody likes riding fixed.

Back