Liberty?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct that this womens Liberty was made by Schwinn? I'm still new to this bike stuff. Nothing real special about this other than the story from the woman that remembers getting it for her 11th birthday back in 1951. It also has a cool, working locking front fork, skip tooth and axle adjusters. Some tires and tubes and a re-greasing and a bit of polish and my wife will HAVE to ride with me. Either that or I have a real cheap parts bike.
stuff064.jpg
stuff065.jpg

The chainguard is a one year only in the painted version...1941 "birdwing". I'd say $50-$75. It also looks like it has Lobdell flat top rims. Those were one year only also...1941. Prewar springfork will only work on prewar girls frames...won't work on boys frames without major modification. I'd keep it together as a rider or fully restore it. You can probably find a tank for reasonable too. Gary

I'll bet that bike shines up very well.

I like the worn spots on the chain guard and frame where the rider would put her feet when coasting.

B607 said:
Prewar springfork will only work on prewar girls frames...won't work on boys frames without major modification. Gary

Oops! My bad. Thought it had a springer. You can cut new threads on that fork then trim off the excess if you want to mount it on a boys frame. That fork will convert to a prewar or postwar boys frame. Gary

So you say the chainguard and wheels are '41? The woman I got the bike from was pretty certain the bike was a '50 or '51. The bike was repainted so thats not original. Is this worth while keeping together [I really don't need or want a womens bike] or should it give up it's present life to help save some other bikes. My collection of bikes I don't really need/want is taking up valueable space. So, since I'm new at this, what should I do, sell it whole or part it out?

If you do part it out, I'd buy the crank and all the bearings, cups, cones and etc. that go with the crank. Gary

themotorcycleguy said:
The bike was repainted so thats not original.

The paint job sure looks original to me. If it were me, I'd put a price on it like it is. Maybe someone wants to restore one of those for their wife or girl. If you don't get any takers, part that Betty out! Gary

I think that's what I'll do, post it here complete this week-end and then part it if there's no interest. Thanks for all the help and info.

Back