Lil' Tiki-cycle + new Mini Board Tracker project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys'n'Gals,
this is some what of a back story really.I'm the owner of a 1967 Hillman Imp known as the 'Tiki-Mobile' and back in 2009 I was attending car shows regularly with my then 4yr old Son.He loved all the Hot Rod style stuff and wanted to join in with the show so we set about turning his entry level BMX into a show bike.
the base bike was this.....
3593703332_de8ee5e3cb_z.jpg

after a little bit of searching our conversion kit was amassed
3592895563_166084cd18_z.jpg

:D the test fit proved a sucess
3596525106_74f2e4846c_z.jpg

after a bit of 'Rattle-can engineering' and some decals things really started to shape up
3604462585_78921fffe2_z.jpg

so,we cracked out the one-shot and....
3623454186_133cb03f20_z.jpg

here's the finished bike alongside the car as it looked back then
3639356910_c27a47cfb3_z.jpg

my Son still loves this bike and it gets regular use even though he is now 9,on Good Friday he rode it around the local season opener car meet and it still pulls a crowd even in its now rather bashed state.
His younger Sister cruises around on it too and is now calling for a more Girlie paint job so,it may well see a rebirth this summer.

I hope you Guys 'n' Gals like it,my little ones certainly do and it made good use of what would have become little more than a home for spiders at the back of my shed.
It seems to me that the market is a bit slack on catering for the younger 'ratrod bikers' out there,have any of you put together a mini-build chopper or cruiser?

Mahalo Bryan

Re: Lil' Tiki-cycle

CeeBee said:
Love the Lil' Tiki-Cycle, and I love the Imp, too. I had one once and wish I had kept it! I'm still true to my "Rootes" though!

IMAG0119.jpg
that's an Ace ride,great colours for a matching bike too!

Re: Lil' Tiki-cycle

LukeTheJoker said:
Awesome work! Ashamed to say I only just got the Rootesville speed shop reference... :oops:
Cool word play... 8)

Luke.
Cheers,many have asked where it is......only a few work it out! :wink:

Re: Lil' Tiki-cycle+new Mini Board Tracker project

I got given this 5 speed mountain bike that had been rotting at the bottom of a friends garden for some years,it was in a rather poor state.to be honest I was'nt going to keep it but my Son asked if he could start a new project so here we are.once we got started it was hard to stop,after a lot of cleaning,some 3 in 1 oil and some incantations to the Gods it was rideable again.then we stripped off most of the tatty decals and flipped the bars.
8652274401_4dff5ac321_z.jpg

the tyres were completely shot so we ordered new ones which arrived today and so far it looks like this... :D
8652268613_c392eb0d4d_z.jpg

we are undecided at the moment if we are going down the broad tracker root or ape hangers red detailing,first job will be to make the brakes work properly.it goes ok but stopping involves planting your feet and holding on tight!!!! :lol:

:D I've just arrived home from work to find that my courier has already dropped off the new frame,game on!!
8654771703_8661e9822a_c.jpg

cman said:
That new frame/fork will be cool. I really like that fork.
I'm pretty pleased,it wasn't a lot of money for this side of the pond.Harrison,my 9yr old wants to stay with the black and white colour scheme on this build and that suits me.we should have enough parts kicking around to put together something cool,the frame and forks are ex-Bratz 'rock angels' and all but the brakes should transfer.it can't be seen in the pictures too clearly but the donor bike is carrying a lot of rust.
I plan to start test fitting then once it all works we'll start cleaning it all up for the build.now that we've started this the Lil' Tiki Cycle is going to get restyled for my 6yr old daughter so,I'm on the prowl for a suitable banana seat,its got 14" wheels so I think it will need to be short.any help on that score would be cool.

Bryan

LukeTheJoker said:
Loving the ideas, watching...

Have you thought about making your own banana seat using a cut up old skateboard, some foam and vinyl? There are a few examples on the site...

Luke.
I build my own longboard decks and have contemplated making a seat,the sissy bar or lack of one was my stumbling block.I'm thinking of building an 'Orange Krate' style bike but in Pink for Erin,the longer seat will add to it rideability because the frame is so short.

After some tinkering with new frame it became evident that it wasn't going to be an easy swap,Harrison's had such a great time riding the donor bike so,we stripped it down,got it all working right and added some different bars instead. :D
8668949401_b8f2d58dcf_c.jpg

I'm on the look out for a BMX or similar to sacrifice for a Mini build.

Bryan

Back