Little help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my girl just bought this Dunelt british girls bike for next to nothing and I was going to chop it up and rat it out for her. I got as far as taking it apart and was waiting for the heat to break so I could sand the frame down... Then I just saw the same bike on Craigslist for $200 in NYC. I have a Japanese made Royce Union with the exact same frame. Should we try and flip the Dunelt and use the RU as the foundation? Is the Dunelt actually worth anything, or is the seller out of their mind? I know next to nothing about british made bikes... Anyone?
DSCN0013-1.jpg

DSCN0011-1.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

I guess theres this "big" lightweight craze goin on...better hit while the irons hot :mrgreen:

JoeyMac said:
bike prices are always inflated on NYC craigslist anyway. But if you could sell it down there, you'd definitely make a profit to fund other bike projects.
Unfortunately I'm far enough from the city that whatever extra I'd get by trying to sell it down there would be eaten in gas. Stupid truck. Thanks guys, looks like this one's getting ratted out!

Two hundred is a bit much for one of these unless it's super nice. I'd suggest parting it out. I recently sold a set of Raleigh bars w/ grips,cables and brake levers for a touch over seventy bucks on ebay. I may have just hit it at the right time, but I would be willing to bet that your bars would sell and fund the build. Cheers.

Keep in mind that seeing it on Craigslist for $200 doesn't mean anyone bought it at that price. You could list it for $1,000 if you wanted to.

As best I can tell, the typical old 3-speed type English bicycles with normal brakes aren't worth much. Men's seem to go for more than women's. It doesn't seem to matter a whole lot what brand they are or where they were made, either. The rod-brake roadsters are a different matter, and can fetch a good bit.

StephenH said:
Keep in mind that seeing it on Craigslist for $200 doesn't mean anyone bought it at that price. You could list it for $1,000 if you wanted to.

As best I can tell, the typical old 3-speed type English bicycles with normal brakes aren't worth much. Men's seem to go for more than women's. It doesn't seem to matter a whole lot what brand they are or where they were made, either. The rod-brake roadsters are a different matter, and can fetch a good bit.
That's about what I figured. I just saw that ad and wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to hack up a bike that was worth a bunch of cash... Of course, as JoeyMac said, NYC craigslist is always inflated, and yeah you're right, it doesn't mean the bike sold. I had never seen another Dunelt, and this is the exact same model, so I thought hey, maybe she struck gold. Guess not, but oh well, now I can rat it out without feeling bad. Thanks guys!

Back