LONE RANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm on little details, here's a hack you may not have thought of. Do you ever have Schrader valve rims, but only Presta tubes? It just doesn't work!

17.jpg

But if you have some old caliper brake parts, you can make use of the curved piece off the pivot bolt, a deep curved one from a rear caliper worked nicely on my aero rims:
20221019_121454.jpg

It holds the valve in place nicely and gives a more finished look. The more flatly curved pieces from a front caliper work nicely on a flatter rim.

My recently acquired Monty Amsterdam keeps calling out to me, and it keeps sneaking into the forefront of my mind, stealing my attention away from the Lone Ranger. The Monty's two sturdy top bars and strongly lugged frame tell me it needs to go "off road." I do believe I'll have to enter it in the current ORBO. Can you hear it calling me?
14.jpg

Can I squeeze fat 26ers into that frame and fork? Not sure, but I think it could look very cool.

While I'm on little details, here's a hack you may not have thought of. Do you ever have Schrader valve rims, but only Presta tubes? It just doesn't work!

View attachment 213828

But if you have some old caliper brake parts, you can make use of the curved piece off the pivot bolt, a deep curved one from a rear caliper worked nicely on my aero rims:
View attachment 213830
It holds the valve in place nicely and gives a more finished look. The more flatly curved pieces from a front caliper work nicely on a flatter rim.
I've done this a few times!

@MattiThundrrr this would be great for your tips n tricks thread

SD, cool work on the brass-ing of the chain ring and pedals! And as I look at these two bikes next to each other;
take the bars and seat off the Monty and put them on the Ranger! At least that really cool saddle for sure.

Then have at the Monty frame with your ORBO ideas. What size are the current wheels and tires on the Monty?

SD, cool work on the brass-ing of the chain ring and pedals! And as I look at these two bikes next to each other;
take the bars and seat off the Monty and put them on the Ranger! At least that really cool saddle for sure.

Then have at the Monty frame with your ORBO ideas. What size are the current wheels and tires on the Monty?
Unfortunately, that saddle has very weak springs and bottoms out when I hit a bump. I will, however, see if I can install stronger springs. The current wheels on the Monty are 26 by 1 3/8 (590)

I have to be honest: With the saddle mounted to that rusted in, stubby little seat post, I'll never be able to ride the darn bike. I do believe I have a solution. And if I get the saddle raised, I'll have to raise the handlebars as well. It's back to the garage for me.

So the stubby little rusted-in seatpost has a 13/16" outside diameter. I looked through my parts bin and found an old post with a 13/16" INSIDE diameter. See where I'm going with this?
Here she is:
20221017_125000.jpg

I slipped her over the stub, hit 'er with a rubber mallet, and she sat there real pretty. I carefully measured the height I needed, mark it off on the new post, took out the old angle grinder, and while I was at it, cut a slit in the bottom, so I could tighten her on with a vintage seat clamp. This is getting exciting, I'm near completion!

20221017_125030.jpg

20221017_130921.jpg

20221017_131222.jpg

20221017_134552.jpg

Voila! It worked! It almost looks "factory," except that the seat post diameter is pretty much the same as the seat tube's. Also note, in the last two pics, you can see my pretty yellow brake cable housing that hooks up to the low-rise handlebars. Sadly, it has to go, because it'll be too much of a stretch when I add my higher-rise bars.

20221017_134939.jpg

Too low now.

Last edited:
All that's left is to throw on some 4"rise handlebars, a longer brake cable and housing, the same grips and brake lever, add a little fine tuning, and I'm DONE! (I hope.) Then I can work on my Monty over at the ORBO.

Last edited:
I believe it's complete! And it fits me just right! Good thing, because my seat post is not adjustable. Added new bars, cable and black housing, toed in the brake pads to eliminate a little squeal, and it's done. Now I have to find a place for the final photo shoot.
20221021_165836.jpg

20221021_165945.jpg

Next week, you'll find me over at the ORBO. Keep up the good work, you skinny tired ratters. I'll be watching you.

I like the bar swap! Bet that old steel frame rides great, too. I vote for cactus and desert rocks somewhere along your cool trail loop in Tucson for a photo op.

I recently purchased this Mead Ranger frame and fork. I'm pretty sure these bikes originally took 28" wheels and tires, which is the same size wheel as 700c and 29". I have several wheel choices in my storage unit which could work. The plan (right now) is to build it up as a vintage bike with modern single-speed/fixie components. I'm gonna do things differently this time: I'll build it once, making sure it all works, both mechanically and visually, then take it apart for finish work, then do the final assembly. I might even finish my Lone Ranger in a nice shade of Hi-Ho Silver.
View attachment 211276View attachment 211277
Awesome frame set. The badge looks great.

I'd like to see that when it's done!
So far I’m not having any luck finding the tubing I need, although I did find some stainless steel tubing that will work. Unfortunately it’s not quite long enough for these handlebars.

This has me thinking about just ditching the Shimano brake lever and building my own lever. Anyhow I haven’t forgotten this but I’ve got 4 other bikes in-process right now.

View attachment 213828

View attachment 213830
Neat idea! I have the same issue, I wonder if this will work with the rims I have....

Wow. The year is coming to a quick close, so I thought I'd better shoot some final photos. I thought my new storage facility provided a unique perspective, so here's what I came up with:
20221222_132359.jpg
20221222_132050.jpg
20221222_132135-5.jpg

There you have it; an ancient moto-style Mead Ranger done in a fixie/single speed modern style, complete with original truss rods; sure to confuse our local hipsters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back