Long time listener, first time poster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, almost...
Haven't really posted a formal intro.
Been working on bikes forever, and built up a few mountainbikes.
Just getting into old bikes, and have refurbished a few old bikes.
Also started doing some tune ups, etc part time.
Now I'm building my first custom.
I think the term "rat rod" is a little passe and overused now, but I am building a "custom" cruiser.
I posted my daily rider 89 Schwinn Probe all purpose bike, and the cruiser I'm building.
I've also done an awesome 24" mountainbike for my daughter with chameleon paint and carbon fiber bars and seat post, along with 9 speed SRAM drivetrain.
IMG_20140603_205933_628.jpg

Also have a 75 Stingray 5-speed, and a couple little 20" Bantams I'm refurbishing, anda 24" 5-speed 68 Sears Spyder...

Yea... I'm a bike guy...

Welcome to the forums; as far as "Rat Rod" being passe, I'm OK with that. I remember, a few years back, the guys on WPRB's Rockabilly Roadhouse show were heckling the shishkabobs out of the term "rat rod" on the air, but at the risk of defining the term, I think rat appeal is at-odds with cutting edge/en vogue status. Yeah, you can incorporate some (or even a lot) of hott new stuff, but I think a rat needs to be a l'il "passe" to work...

"Custom Cruiser" is a fine term, but be advised that spelling it with "K"s and/or a "Z" or two is an incredibly dirt-mall maneuver. "Kuztom Kruzer," hahaha. Nothing wrong with being dirt-mall; I visit my local (the Berlin Mart, aka "the Berlin Auction"), but be sure that's the vibe you're going for before you type it out. :crazy:

I guess my problem with the "Rat Rod" term, is that people are applying it to anything that isn't shiney. Used to be cars were built using what you could afford. You either bought engine parts, or paint and body parts. Many chose "Go" over "Show" Cars were on-going projects... They weren't meant to be... Just were.
Now people go out of their way to build "unfinished" projects...
This is the truck my Dad drove for 25 years. Progressed from stock, to a small block/auto swap, to a complete Camaro front clip swap. Always looked the same, except got lowered when the clip was done. (was a little nicer than this. This is a pic someone took a few years after he sold it)
I learned to drive in this truck. It hauled plywood, and hauled ..., and hauled us down to the A&W for Coney Tuesday LOL.
This would be called a Rat Rod today, even though, to him, it was just his truck... A never-ending project that was never finished.
dads%2B52%2BChevy.jpg

Latest posts

Back