long time lurker, first time poster.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gal's
This is my bike that I'm currently building for myself, It's a mambo(surf brand) branded bike, it's just a mass produced chinese cheapo which can be purchased from Big W(aussie version of walmart or Kmart I guess)for around $160-$200. I would of prefered a older or more traditional bike but unfortantly in Australia we never really got many cruiser style bikes until recent years.
I picked it up for a $50 second hand on gumtree (Aussie version of craigslist) in neer new condition with the only negatives being a rear punture and a surface rust on the "stainless steel" bolts through out the bike.
they look alot like this new.
mamboCruiser.jpg

I first removed all the stickers, reflectors, put a new tube one the back and just enjoyed it as it was for a while.
Unfortunantly it's geared a little to tall for me, So I laced my SA 3 speed drum brake hub into the rim and i'm getting it trued. I also flipped the handles bars and removed the front brakes as they were absolutely useless on the painted wheels (briliant idea).
Here's how it sits now:
324054_3921040697424_1754732468_o.jpg

I plan on getting some better handle bars, new seat, swap to 3 piece crank (hate cheapo one piece cranks), front and rear lamps with Luxeon LEDs and replace all the fasterners with decent 316 bolts.

I dont know, I always find on cheaper department store bikes that the cranks are assembled really poorly and usually click, crunch and grind after a coupe of weeks (with this one has). For little to no extra outlay over rebuilding what's there I can swap to a 3 piece crank with sealed maintanence free bearings, a crank set with a more desirable chainwheel can be had for like $20 online.

Update, I laced my Sturmey archer AB hub into the existing rear rim, sent it off to me trued(im hopeless at it). Atm I'm still piecing the last few bits together.
I plan to run 2 dished sprockets on the rear as the depth of the sprocket mount allows for 2 sprockets. I will be using a 19 & 22 tooth sprocket, I will be using a a chain tension (essentially a DIY derailer) and just manually flip the chain from sprocket to sprocket.

Here's a list of what I have :
chrome cable stops
old SA twist shifter (to be converted to a suicide shifter)
new hub/rim combo
Braided cable's
rear light (to be mounted on rear gaurd)
Front light ( to be retrofitted with LED's)
Dynamo(mounts to seat tube and rolls against the tread of the tyre, not the side wall).

Parts on their way:
red jockey wheel (for derailer/tensioner)
lense for tail light
rest of the Sturmey archer parts (indicator chain, nuts etc etc)

What I need to make:
suicide shifter for brake and gears.
kickstand
Springer front using leaf springs

Now for some pics
new hub in old rim.
411964_3934122384458_736947814_o.jpg

tail light, alittle rough. It needs a good polish.
$(KGrHqJ,!nQE9gI-i!(bBPkWlfDO2g~~60_12.JPG

Dynamo
$(KGrHqN,!g8E-6Devm-gBP-bsZ,okg~~60_12.JPG

Am I correct in my reading that you are going to be running two cogs on a three speed hub? Sweet!! I've heard of that, never seen it done. I look forward to watching. I've heard that you used to be able to get a three cog set that would go on an S/A 3spd hub but they can't be found anymore.

The one-piece cranks are a bit primitive, but I think they fit the feel and style of the cruiser better.

Your bike looks cool, hope to see more soon.

yes your did rear correct, I do plan on running 2 sprockets on the rear, the step/lip/flange sectionbn the sprocket locates on is way to big for any off the self sprocket. So much so Ill be using 2 sprockets and some washers between them and the circlip.

jackdaw said:
Am I correct in my reading that you are going to be running two cogs on a three speed hub? Sweet!! I've heard of that, never seen it done. I look forward to watching. I've heard that you used to be able to get a three cog set that would go on an S/A 3spd hub but they can't be found anymore.
Yes they made those, I got mine off a mid sixties western flyer, heres the link to my Indian I put it on

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18665

Back