longer bars needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
took the low9 out for a shakedown cruise and found the handlebars are about 3 inches shy of being comfortable. They work perfect with the stem turned around, but makes the front end look kinda odd. The bars are Electra Streamliners. Does anyone make a longer bar without going to apehangers?. Has anyone extended their bars or made their own?

These bars were extended about 8 inches. Just used a tubing cutter for a nice clean cut. Trimmed the ends off the bars I wanted to use, and then took what I needed from another set of bars. The tubing cutter gives you a slight "V" cut when you join the pieces together, giving you a stronger weld in the end..........Good Luck!

005-1.jpg

wish I could weld...
did you use an insert between the bars?

sensor said:
ive also made my own bars as well....the only thing i do different than kota is get a smaller diameter tube to slide into the bars where theyre going to be welded and plug weld them then got back and butt weld where they join(that way theyre guaranteed never to come apart)
:p :p :p .I guarantee those bars would bend in half before they broke. Then you'd have to twist em into a pretzel, fill em with dynamite, find them after you blew em up, and the welds would STILL be intact.....Straighten them out, put em back on the bike, and pedal into the sunset.. :wink:

sensor said:
ive also made my own bars as well....the only thing i do different than kota is get a smaller diameter tube to slide into the bars where theyre going to be welded and plug weld them then got back and butt weld where they join(that way theyre guaranteed never to come apart)

i did the same. i forgot the exact size but one size of electrical conduit slides right into a 7/8" bar. afterward i just ground the welds down smooth and used long foam grips that covered the welded area.

Latest posts

Back