Lookin for More Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Electra Boney Finger 3 speed with 24" x 3.0 tires
The stock Gear Set Upis 44 x 22
I just changed to 44x18. It's better but I guess I was hoping for a big difference.
I guess I'll try a 16 in back it's black though. I was hopin to like the 18 it was chrome

Not sure if this has been covered but any comments?

C.S. said:
48 x 18 ?

I think the numbers refer to how many teeth are on the front/rear sprokets respectively.

If you want more speed go smaller in the rear and/or bigger in the front. At some point the gearing will become too tall and it'll become impractical to ride. Finding the balance point for you bike and how you ride it is a trial and error process.

What I meant was: With your wheels, 48 teeth front and 18 teeth rear is what I would do. I use 48 x 19 with 28" wheels.
Maybe there are chrome 46 or 48 front sprockets.
Divide the number of teeth -front- by the number of teeth -rear-, multiply by the circumference of your tire (diameter x pi) and you have the distance travelled with one complete revolution of your cranks. Gives you something to work with.
If someone mentions 'gear inches', just multiply the outcome with pi (3.14 for daily use), same thing.
And yes, it's trial and error.

I was hoping not to change the front chainring. If I do,I'll be putting a whole new crank on.
If putting a 46 or 48 on, will it work with the Chainguard....I want to keep the chainguard on.

Though now that looks like another winter project as fall is here. I was looking for a quick fix, silly me.
I have two other projects in the werks already plus, about 4 wheelsets to build

BoneyFinger006.jpg

Yeah, a winter project...
According to my research (with tape measure and pocket calculator): if you have about 1/4" clearance between the chain and guard, you can use a 46 tooth sprocket, but it's attached to the crank. They should have used a one piece crankset.
While searching for fotos of the other side of the bike (there aren't any) to have a look inside the chainguard, I found this (home again): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9923&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Well, not that different gearing wouldn't suit you better, but if you really want more speed, a gear change isn't going to help you that much.
It's harder with 24 x 3s, but try to get as much pressure into those tires, inflate it to the maximum. Other than that, grease all of the bearings, mainly wheel bearings and secondly the bottom bracket. Also make sure that the cone are adjusted just right, and set properly.

Good ideas mastershake. I was assuming that Normbilt was spinning the cranks as fast as he could, and he still wasn't going fast enough. With taller gearing all the resistance from low tires, dirty/dry/tight/loose bearings, becomes more of an issue too.

Back