Looking for tires / tubes for a B-I-G-G-E-R guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to get back into riding, but I need somebody to suggest for me a tire / tube combo that can support a 400 pound guy. My ankle is giving me problems...so bike riding is better than walking at this point.

My current tires are 26 x 1.90 but they just don't support the weight when fully inflated.

Does anybody know of a fatter / stronger tire and or tube that might hold up to a guy my size?

Thanks.

Use the largest MTB or tandem tire that will clear your frame, w/ at least 60 lb. pressure, if you find any 65 it WILL help. 2.125" is better than 1.9", 2.4" is WAY better if it will fit your bike. They're not going to be cheap if they will support your size.

WTB VelociRaptor 26"x2.1" at full pressure(60 lb) should work for you about like 1.9" street tires for me(185 lb.), because the weight is distributed over a larger area, and because of the additional sidewall strength of a high quality off-road tire.

A 2.4" Mutano raptor dedicated rear tire would be even better, larger, 65lb. pressure, even larger weight distribution, but some bikes can't fit them.There are other types and brands available that will do the job, the main point is larger, higher pressure, more money.

Hmm.. I am 315lbs before breakfast and I never had a problem with any tire of any size. I am talking skinny 27in road bike tires to tiny 20in tires on my Schwinn Lil chik..Just make sure it is inflated correctly. Most importantly, before you roll over any bump, pothole or curb lift that booty off the seat. I have seen 100lb kids blow tires not riding correctly. I hope this helps some.

Thanks guys for the help. I guess I'll look at the couple local bike shops to price some of the items you've suggested.

I like to keep the money local when I can...but can somebody suggest one or two online parts houses they like in case my local shop doesn't carry ( or doesn't want to order ) what I'm hunting for?

Matt - What the heck are you doing on this kind of forum? :wink: Are you looking for tires for your mountain bike, or did you pick up a cool cruiser because you miss me so much? :lol: I'd suggest a set of Schwalbe "Fat Franks". I've never had them but would like a set. Heard good things about them.

Hey Casey...yeah...I miss you so much I figure I have to start running into online in the darndest places.

Those are neat tires...cool that they are available in the cream and brown colors. I think I'd stick with plain old black.

It's a bit more than I'd like to spend on tires ( $70+ )

I found some stuff online at bikenashbar.com that I'm going to try and cross reference tomorrow morning at a couple of the local bike shops.

And no...I didn't pick up a cruiser yet...this stuff is for my mountain bike. But never say never...

Latest posts

Back