Los Guapos York Maine Yachting Regatta and bike cruise 2009

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So this weekend was the first annual Los Guapos Regatta and bike cruise event at York Beach Maine. One of the guys traded some electrical work for use of a house by the beach this year. The crowd vared between 4 and 6 members. One highlight was a visit from Hurricane Bill on Saturday, we did not let a little rain dampen our spirits or allow a little lightening and reports of possible fullen clouds deter us from the yachting Regatta at Great Bay by the Pasquatequa Bridge. Ahh, there's something about microbrew's and the open ocean...
DSCN0465.jpg

After the storm blew through, the wind faded as well....
DSCN0473.jpg

Following the Regatta, Larry's Snark was declared the winner. We went down to York Beach for sight seeing and a game of Horseballs. Dinner that night was in Portsmouth at the Flatbread Pizza restraunt, got there just in time, our waitress informed us that we had 2 minutes to order before the kitchen closed (brick ovens), it was only 10:58 PM!

The following day we took a bike ride to Nubble point and lighthouse to view the forces of nature in action, some of the waves were peaking at 10ft. Couple of people got soaked by rogue waves. The temp was still hot but bearable with the ocean breeze. At least the humidity had subsided.

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0477.jpg

Fellow Los Guapos, (Left to Right), Pat, Steve and Larry
DSCN0478.jpg

Larry's Extracycle and my Felt 750 Cafe got a lot of looks
DSCN0474.jpg

All the beaches were closed (except to the surfers) including a road or two because of high surf.

After enjoying a economically sized and astronomically priced ice cream cone at Nubble point we rode south to Yorke Village, pretty good ride, and saw this scene on the way..... Now what are those Duke boys up to now!
DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

Turns out the Local F.D. truck had a leaking fuel line and had a little incident. That's their air cleaner on fire...The General Lee (replica) is owned by the town mechanic who just happend to be driving by. I did not have a chance to ask if his name was Cooter. Traffic was backed up a good mile down the hill to the village.

It was HOT but luckily there was a cumberland farms in town with 8 different flavors of slurpee and a bike shop with AC across the street.
DSCN0486.jpg

Cool Gary Fisher (cant believe i'm saying that)
DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

Yes, that's a mint Orange Crate up there...
DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

The kid minding in the shop (favorite word SICK!) had to tease me by saying, hey, if you like those bikes, you should see what's in the attic, must be over a hundred old bikes up there. :shock: . And no, i didn't get to go......

Rode back to the house, cleaned up, had lunch and it was time to hit the road.
Ahh, the joys of traveling to a tourist destination on the weekend....25mph on I-95S.....

DSCN0487.jpg

I love that area. I'll have to stop at that bike shop this fall, looks cool. The last time I was on the Piscataqua River (I love saying Piscataqua) was about 10 years ago on Thanksgiving weekend when I was invited to have the second station on a 32 foot Bantry Bay Gig the Kitttery. The oars were 11 feet long or so. I used to row dories on the New England coast. We went under the Piscataqua Bridge (I love saying Piscataqua) being chased by another gig the Saquish from Plymouth Ma. and a Piscataqua Wherry (I love saying Piscataqua). The surf was pounding on Cape Cod as well as York Maine this weekend.

This was my dory from about 15 years ago in Chatham.
CHAT2A.jpg

GL

Obviously i would prefer to say "Piscataqua" versus spelling it! We had a good time and it wasn't a big haul for any of us eiter which was a bonus.

That's a good size boat, you wouldn't want to be fighting the tide under the bridge with that one i bet.

with regard to the surf, one brave Los Guapo tried surfing on Saturday, since the local shops would not rent due to the waves being "too big", he opted to use an early 90's windsurfer (+/- 16ft long). He did suceed in paddling out, sitting out there for a while and he survived the return trip to the beach (not standing up however). Said Guapo was a bit chilled due to lack of wetsuit, however he is a hearty soul and up for another stab at it with proper equipment. (name withheld to protect the innocent (wasn't me!))

Back