Lotus Legend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike was discarded by a neighbor who had purchased it brand new while stationed in Japan in the early '80's when he was in the Air Force.

It had been so neglected the drop bars literally broke in two while I was trying to remove them. The chain was solidified, the freewheel was no longer free, brake and shifter cables had become one with the housings, the saddle wasn't there, or the clamp for the micro adjust seat post, and the tires and tubes were just fond memories......

LotusLegend1a.jpg

Here it is stripped down for clean up.....

and here we are, all done
LoyusLegend3.jpg

Most of the original paint & decals are intact. The frame is actually chrome, but painted except for the chain & seat stays & drop outs, along with the fork ends. Its a nice light, lugged frame with Sugino cranks and chainrings, Shimano RX100 derailleurs and 105 brake calipers, alloy Araya wheels. Another one saved from the scrapman. This one is going to my nephew who attends The Citadel in South Carolina. I think he's in for a good ride. It will be getting some clip ons and toe clips prior to sending it to him.

Man oh man, Oh its his loss. What a fine job on a fine Machine.

HOLY COW! :shock:
Nice job, and what a beautiful bike!
She's a definite keeper!

Great looking bike. Good to see it didn't go to the dump! Did you modify the brakes so the cables are under the bar tape? Usually the housing runs out of the top of the brake handles and looks poor. How were the ball bearings looking in the bottom bracket and headset?

The levers are originally set up for a "side" exit on the cables, so yes they are wrapped under the tape. Surprisingly the original head bearings survived as they had been packed pretty well when built. The bottom bracket is a cartridge type and survived as well.

It really does ride nice.....way to big of a standover height for me, but not for my nephew who's getting this for his birthday this week!

Thank you so much Uncle Russell!

I took her to the LBS downtown and got fitted up. They were EXTREMELY impressed at the condition of the bike and how smoothly everything operates... I raised the seat post an inch and it fits perfect up top and in the drops.

I went for a short ride around the battalion. Everything works perfectly, and as it turns out, there are a couple of guys on campus who love older road bikes. It looks like I'll be riding around with them and the tri guys.

Thank you again!

Ride it in good health and keep it locked up when not!

It will "evaporate" if not. Trust me.

Glad you like it!.

Another bike saved from sure death.........

It is in the hanging bike rack, locked through the frame. Besides, I think the Fuji Tri bike sitting unlocked beside the rack for the last two months will be first to go.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up come good lube from the LBS to keep everything in tiptop shape.

Back