Loved the Cruiser and Rat-Rod Bikes even before I knew anyone else called them that.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I put this and more in the other thread with more questions (What To Do? How To Do It?).
This is my intro info though. Yo. ? :cool: :hi:

New here and I've been looking around. I ended up here while looking for information and ideas for what I was thinking of doing.
Looking for some help and ideas and experience.

I am okay mechanically; not afraid of small jobs on my motorcycle and I have some tools.
I've never done anything on my bicycles except loosen and adjust a few basics like seats. Zero experience with chains, gears, spokes, etc. I probably don't know the proper terminology or what things are called. I don't know anyone else who is interested in bikes like this (or at all really) so I have no one to work with or discuss or someone to just bounce ideas off of who understands the concepts and goals.

I'm not sure what to do with my current situation which is why I started posting,
but here's a quick rundown on what I got and how I got here.

PREHISTORIC:
Since growing up I've liked bikes, bicycles, but after getting near 6 feet tall I always felt that the frames were too small and it always felt like I was riding around on a little kid's bike. The top bar between the head and seat tubes was always way down because my seat post was always high and before that aesthetic issue, I could no longer get any good length between the peddles and the seat. I always wanted a bike that was longer so that I was not feeling so cramped up on it. Always felt like my legs are never unfolding enough and I'm always working at about half power. Or if I got the space by extending everything I then feel like it looks ridiculous; this tiny frame with everything extended to maximum.

HISTORY - 2000/2001:
I finally found Dyno about 15 years ago and I did notice that it seemed longer than other bikes. This bike shop also was cruiser friendly and had other accessories that I had not see elsewhere like a laid back seat post to give me more length at the peddle. So I ended up investing in the Dyno Deuce and modifying it. However I still never felt like it was a bullseye. It's still a little frame although I think the bike looks alright.
index.php

PRESENT - 2016:
Now years later I found the Electra Cruiser 1 in a Tall frame. I could see immediately that is was taller than the other bikes at the shop (I was helping a girlfriend get herself a bike - which she did, a Linus Mixte). The tall Electra seemed longer too, but I wasn't sure.

I was going to get on this site and ask if I should sell the old Dyno and get the Electra, but I ended up getting a small sale and bought the single speed Electra tall Cruiser 1. So now I have both bikes.
index.php

Now I can't seem to settle on what to do.
The frames seem remarkably similar as well as very different. Sometimes I look at them and I think they are almost the same size, so what was I thinking. Then I get on the Electra and it does seem bigger. The seat is lower to the frame.

Measuring them both offers little definitive information. When I measure from axle to axle the Dyno is only about 1/2 inch shorter. The leg length from the seat to the peddle is about the same. Only the length between the seat tube and the head tube is very different: The Dyno is 24 inches long, the Electra is 27.5 inches long. The Electra does achieve the leg inseam length with it's normal seat post, so I guess it's bigger in that regard.

The more I ride the Electra the more I like it and don't mind the single speed as much as I thought. Overall I like it's clean and uncluttered lines but I will eventually want the gears of the Nexus so I'll have to transfer that over sooner or later. Does anyone know if that's difficult? Should I leave that to an experienced bike shop? I don't want to destroy the Nexus, or the bike or myself, trying to save a few dollars.

I'd also like to put a front disk brake on there.
The shops I mention it to seem to think that's a bad idea. I need to weld a mount, etc. I have no idea.

So I was hoping to find some experienced folks here that really know what they are looking at and have tried some variations and understand what I mean.

Remember you can also reply on the original post that has more pix and a few of a bike/look I like.
Thanks for any help.
Stay Sharp, Stay Up.

Probably starting more posts on identical subject not gonna help. There is an excellent "how to" section that may give you ideas also.

I am into Dynos and Electras. Love the sleek lines on the Dynos. My avatar has a picture of my first rat rod bike which is an old Dyno. Just sold another a few weeks ago. I had a Dyno Deuce similar to the one you have but sold it. I have an Electra Townie 3i and 21D as well as an old Electra Rally Sport. Love them all!

The Electra has a different configuration, the head tube and seat tube aren't the same degree of rake as the Dyno. The Dyno has the same angle or slant on both while the head tube on the Electra is more upright and the seat tube more laid back. That might be why it seems a lot bigger than the Dyno. I've had 3 or 4 Dynos and they were all great.
You said you might want the Nexus on the Electra, is that the wheel on the Dyno? I noticed the disc brake on it, it would take having a brake mount added to the frame as would a disc brake on the front. I would recommend leaving the Dyno as it is and adding new stuff to the Electra, making it your number one bike. It looks like a 24" tire on the rear of the Dyno with a wide tire, there might be a clearance issue on the other bike. All the other wheels look like 26".
So, if it's a 3 or 7 speed Nexus hub you want, I would get it in the coaster brake version and get the whole wheel at once, cable and shifter included and install it.
262125NX3-MD.jpg

Another option is a 2 speed kickback, no shifter or cable, just shift by pedaling.
686.jpg

I have a hub that is automatic 2 speed it shifts at 12 mph by itself, but the kickback type lets you decide when it shifts. You should be able to get the rim in black to match the ones now. Keep the single speed wheel for a backup. Let a shop put it on if you aren't confident after reading the instructions. The adjustments and tire change can all be handled by them and should be guaranteed.
As for front disc, I agree with the advice the shop gave you, welding on a bracket would also have to be touched up with paint, and it would require a new front hub to be laced on, or a new wheel already made up for a disc brake. A handbrake wouldn't look as cool but would provide the braking you need, and easy to install.
That'll give you the Electra the way you want it, with another complete bike ready to go, or sell.

Thanks Luke.

I'm not huge. Just around 6 feet tall and fairly slim at 175-ish more or less. But I still felt that most frames are too small and I hate that tiny frame look with all the posts extended so that I can get my legs close to straight. Or on the other hand, I hate riding around barely unbending my legs peddling like mad trying to get somewhere.

In the end the bike is a tool for me. I might use it to go to the market, the beach or the movies. I'm not just going down the block and then coming home.
That's why I got the Nexus 7 in the Dyno. Took that bike to Burning Man 2001.

However that said,
I am finding that I really like the Electra even in the single speed form. I like the simplicity of the look. And the size does seem more comfortable even though they both have the same "inseam". As I mentioned above, the Electra achieves this with a normal seat post at a normal height so I guess that means it's bigger overall.

Now I'm not sure if I should keep the Nexus or sell it with the Dyno and get another one for the Electra sometime in the future if I want one.
Yesterday I switched over all the lights I had on the Dyno, a headlight, taillight (skull!) and one I use as a side-marker. Last night I rode to the video store, dinner and the bank before heading home around midnight. The headlight is 550 lumens and very bright. The area is pretty much flat with a slight slope towards the ocean. So that ends up being an uphill peddle one way and a slow coast the other. The Electra felt fine and I was never wishing for 7 gears. I think the back-peddle brake is better than the rear brake on the Nexus. That seemed sort of spongy and feeble. That is why I ended up getting a front brake later.

Wildcat:
You answered so many of my issues while I was typing them above here.
Thank you.
If you check out my other thread "What To Do? How To Do It?" in the How To forum, you'll see the measurements I made of the two frames. That's interesting what you say about the rake of the seat posts.
I did not realize there were so many variations of internal hubs. That is very interesting.

I think the Electra
frame will accept a 3" wheel, but I don't know if there is a 3" wide 26" wheel. Maybe something thicker but not that wide. In the other thread I posted a few pix of a bike I found here. It had 3" wide wheels in those shots.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm thinking more and more about what Wildcat said and about how I'm feeling with the Electra as it is, at least for now.

So if I do end up selling the Dyno as-is,
what do you think would be a reasonable price for it?
Or how would you figure out the value for setting a price on a bike?

I might put it up on Craigslist or eBay.
Thanks for any help.

Back