Low budget boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I do a motor it won't be one of those cheap chinese kits. I'd like to find an old 50 or 80cc engine with the clutchless 3 speed. Maybe one of those old 4 stroke honda 50cc dirtbike engines. I bet I could hit 50mph easy 8)

After some thought I think the Elgin is going to stay pedal powered. Boardtrack fan's firebikes excelsior frame got me thinking about going in that direction for a motorized bike. That small v twin would just fit perfect in that frame.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6772

Decided against the hairpin saddle, just did'nt fit the boardtrack theme. Found an old longspringer saddle, gonna get some foam and burlap and recover the pan.
bikes-22.jpg

No, this one's gonna stay meat powered. I have future plans to find a small v-twin for either my pink frame or buy a firebikes excelsior frame. That'll be my high budget boardtrack build :)

necessaryevil said:
... I have future plans to find a small v-twin...

I too have been searching for a little "Vee" for a bike, and came across this amazing little power plant.
V-twin-2.jpg

Trouble is... you have to build it yourself. He only sells the plans. Do you happen to have a machine shop, and a lot of time?

Ironicly I am a manual machinist, but I'd never have time for an engine. There's a company called Lifan that makes a 250cc v twinn designed for miniature choppers. That's what I'm saving up for.

I like what you are doing with the Indian style handle bars. I found these on the internet and thought you might like to see them. Notice the similarity between the Indian stem and a Raleigh stem. I have started using Raleigh stems on my BTR builds and best of all they are pretty cheap to buy.
4236_1.jpg

b685_1-1.jpg

b961_1.jpg

Thanks boardtrack, definitely gives me ideas on how to finish the bars. I like that stem too, but I might go with a track style drop stem. Those motors are pretty sweet Rodland, they're made from old Honda blueprints. If anything breaks on them, chances are the local honda dealer can get the part.

necessaryevil said:
There's a company called Lifan that makes a 250cc v twinn designed for miniature choppers. That's what I'm saving up for.

That's 250cc's though, can you actually put that engine on a bike and ride it?
Better buy some motorcycle-grade brakes as well.

Can it be done? Yes
Is it legal in any state? No
Brakes, what are those?

In all reality I need to build a frame to withstand a motor this size, and yes it needs drum brakes. It's all just an idea right now, I'm just tired of the crappy chinese motors. I want to build something that actually goes fast. I can't drive 55 :lol:

Back