Lowering a rat trap fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just seen 1 done other day and cant seem to find it now.

If someones got any info, that would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance!

You mean "flipping" one? Like this:

monkey1.jpg

It's easy. All you do is remove the rockers, and flip them to the other side. The right rockers goes left, and vice versa. It moves the axle forward, and slightly lower.

Sweet! Will try it on sat.
Knew was sumthin w/ the rockers, just not exactly what.
Thanks man.

Does your rat trap actually "spring" the front end or is it solid? I just got a bike with one of these and I can put all my weight over the handlebars (on or off the bike) and it doesn't go down. I'm thinking the last owner cranked all the bolts down tight.

yes they spring when flipped,but they ride better in the stock position. its pretty much the "cool" factor when flipped,and the rat trap drops and pushes the front end forward like no other fork. yoothgeye.....you might want to double check the rocker bolts and make sure they are the correct shouldered bolts,and not just some bolts that somebody stuck on it to hold it together. it should have a little more movement than your describing.

yoothgeye said:
Does your rat trap actually "spring" the front end or is it solid? I just got a bike with one of these and I can put all my weight over the handlebars (on or off the bike) and it doesn't go down. I'm thinking the last owner cranked all the bolts down tight.

Dunno? Im picking it up sat. Dude says it works good tho.

Something to be aware of ; depending on wheel/tire OD the coil spring can hit the tire tread when the "springer action " compresses. Could be a reason for being so tight. For example a 26 x 2.125 tire on a rim that was used originaly with the rat trap , 26 x 1.75 , will "go tall" ( larger OD ) .

Good point, clamdigger. The downside is that it makes the bump stops useless. I always forget that because I'm skinny :mrgreen:

Back