Lucky Strike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more progress on this build today in between working on my class 2 build. I was at least able to get the fenders sanded and primed.
IMG_20230604_180005712.jpg

I need to get the fender I found I had forgotten about stripped of multiple layers of paint, tank insert cut out, handle bar welded together and grind the welds sand primer and paint, plus what ever else I am forgetting. Thankfully my class 2 is getting close to being able to assemble so I can concentrate on on this build.

Just a little thing I seen on YouTube or somewhere not good for big stuff but works ok for small areas. Just need a blowgun with a long tube make a hole in the tube on top use some kind of bottle to hold the blast media. drill a hole just big enough for a tight fit.View attachment 235420
View attachment 235421

Looks like you did just what it said on the bottle cap, Recycle Bottle with Cap on.

Finally got some time to work on this build a little bit yesterday. Found the chain guard I've been looking for so I needed to mock up the drive train so I can get the fender on and make sure it clears everything. I will have to drill and tap a new hole for the chain guard to clear the chain. I've got the chain guard stripped and ready for prime still need to do the fork. Just about ready for paint still debating on what colors but will be something off my paint shelf.
I have white, couple different shades of red, gray, I think black, and bunch of other colors. My original plan was white and red like I did on my redline.
IMG_20230419_191359213.jpg

But looking at it hanging up in flat black primer I think it looks good like that. I've also thought gray and red or black.
IMG_20230619_190647533_HDR.jpg
I need to dig out a rack and see how that looks on there.

Been struggling like a few other people trying to come up with a name for a build. I saw a pack of cigarettes and thought why not so lucky Strike it is.
Not sure where this build is going but I have a few ideas either old school hotrod with flames or scallops. Or something different not really sure yet.
The base of this build is a 60's Rollfast I got a while back View attachment 232699View attachment 232703View attachment 232700the stem was frozen in the fork tried for a while to get it out then gave up and broke out the grinder cut the stem so I could get the fork off. Not worried about the fork I have a couple other off two I gender changed and used springers on.
Last weekend I dug threw my parts and came up with this stuff.View attachment 232704this weekend I mocked everything thing up while I still need to get my class 2 finished welded. Made a Cardboard Added Design for a tank got that cut out and mocked up.View attachment 232705View attachment 232706
Not sure on the chain guard or fenders if I will use them. Will probably look some more for a different chain guard. Also don't really care for the handle bar so gonna have to get something different.
That's where I am now so time to take everything back off, sand, prime everything that gets painted then figure out what I want to do for a paint job.

I figured it would take me a while to find it. My work bench is a complete disaster........
20230620_213359.jpg

I got the tire I ordered hoping it would match the one I have that I haven't been able to find a match too. The one I had was a Fenix cream small brick the one I just got is a duro cream small brick and they're not really close.
IMG_20230620_175255175.jpg
the tread pattern is the same but the color is off. Not sure what to do order another duro or just run these. Any ideas how I can get these to match a little better? Colors in the picture are crappy from the florescent lights but definitely noticable.

Brian, did you see my post about tinting the grips I got from Thompson Classics? I used a mixture of acrylic colors, water based 100% acrylic.

You could mix up a lighter or darker shade in that same yellow color family,and then apply it to both,which might tie them together.

Or try to tint the lighter one to match the darker one, but that might be harder.

Brian, did you see my post about tinting the grips I got from Thompson Classics? I used a mixture of acrylic colors, water based 100% acrylic.

You could mix up a lighter or darker shade in that same yellow color family,and then apply it to both,which might tie them together.

Or try to tint the lighter one to match the darker one, but that might be harder.
Yeah and just watched it again do you think it would work the same on rubber tires? It's worth a try. Do you think the reason the other one is different is from being couple years old and just hanging in the shed?

Prob has changed hanging in the shed.

With the tire application, you could go for a 'ratty/aged' look. To get the tires to match perfectly and look like new,probably really hard to do.

I did these Fat Franks to take the newness off them. If you use enough coverage, the tires might be indistinguishable.

Screenshot_20230621_193308_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230621_193330_Chrome.jpg

Thanks I'll give trying to darken the lighter one first if that don't work I'll try darkening both.
Beian, were you considering treating a small section first in case application go sideways or doing the whole tire at once to keep the effect even throughout.....

Prob has changed hanging in the shed.

With the tire application, you could go for a 'ratty/aged' look. To get the tires to match perfectly and look like new,probably really hard to do.

I did these Fat Franks to take the newness off them. If you use enough coverage, the tires might be indistinguishable.

View attachment 237852

View attachment 237853
I need to get something similar to that seatpost

Over the weekend I was able to strip the frame and make a new tank. I liked how the chain guard had the groves recessed in it so I figured I could try to match it with the tank. So I grabbed the my router and put a 45° bit in it clamped a angle iron on it for a guide made the first groove on each side measured the next groove made those groves and same thing for the last groves.
Had a little bit of wobble from going around the curve on top of the tank but was able to fix that with some sandpaper and a block of wood. Will have to use a little filler to get the rest smoothed out but overall I like it. Just need a little more sanding to get the ridges rounded over to match the chain guard.
IMG_20230625_135240697.jpg
IMG_20230625_135211154.jpg
IMG_20230625_140425598_HDR.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to strip the frame and make a new tank. I liked how the chain guard had the groves recessed in it so I figured I could try to match it with the tank. So I grabbed the my router and put a 45° bit in it clamped a angle iron on it for a guide made the first groove on each side measured the next groove made those groves and same thing for the last groves.
Had a little bit of wobble from going around the curve on top of the tank but was able to fix that with some sandpaper and a block of wood. Will have to use a little filler to get the rest smoothed out but overall I like it. Just need a little more sanding to get the ridges rounded over to match the chain guard.View attachment 238436View attachment 238437
That balances so well. Sheer perfection!

Latest posts

Back