Lugged Tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using two lugged diamond frames to make a cool boardtracker. I've used this technique twice before, but never with lugged frames, and I'm hoping that I can give this one some extra touches of style, while keeping it simple. I have no idea if I will finish by the deadline, but since I'm starting the build now, I thought I'd post it here.

Starting point:
IMG_5071.JPG

And just for completeness of storytelling, here are the first two versions I've made using this technique:
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_2116.JPG

Pic 1 shows the first time I did it, in like 2012, where it had no stretch, but ended up taller than a single frame. Shot 2 is version 2, which had me bend the stays down to stretch the two frames out.

After the end of the first day in the shop, here's how version 3 looks:
IMG_5073.JPG

I'm using two lugged diamond frames to make a cool boardtracker. I've used this technique twice before, but never with lugged frames, and I'm hoping that I can give this one some extra touches of style, while keeping it simple. I have no idea if I will finish by the deadline, but since I'm starting the build now, I thought I'd post it here.

Starting point:
View attachment 236759

And just for completeness of storytelling, here are the first two versions I've made using this technique:
View attachment 236760View attachment 236761

Pic 1 shows the first time I did it, in like 2012, where it had no stretch, but ended up taller than a single frame. Shot 2 is version 2, which had me bend the stays down to stretch the two frames out.

After the end of the first day in the shop, here's how version 3 looks:
View attachment 236762
I dig that wood placement and the evolution in your attaching them.

I think the bottom is looking okay, but I'm not sure about how that top tube comes down. I didn't want to just do another straight tube at a 45 or whatever, but it looks a bit weird. I'll leave it for now, and can change my mind later, if I wish.

IMG_5077.JPG

That sharp corner looks potentially painful as well! Perhaps you could mirror the curve in the lower tube
Maybe. My original thinking was that a seat would line up with the top tube, so no pointy bits to smack into.

Swapped out for some different parts, and put together a little idea I've had for a while. I got these two stainless steel mugs that are bicycle themed a while ago, and had the thought to mount them like a little faux-motor, and they would be bottle/can holders for when riding. Don't know if I'll keep them on there... I'll have to sit with them for a while.
IMG_5090.JPG
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5092.JPG

Back