Lured in by an old Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new builder, new to site. Started my hunger this summer after hitting a community yard sale and buying nearly every bike I found. I have hit many sales since and have picked up 18 for less than 150 bucks. I have everything from 50's Schwinns to a funky mountain bike I just had to have because I liked the way it looked in the guys yard. I have even stopped at houses where bikes are laying in the yard or up against a barn or garage, just to see if they would sell them. Picked up some neat stuff that way. I am now limiting myself to rare or really old stuff right now. My current builds are a50's Schwinn tanker that I haven't taken the time to designate. It is satin Italian Olive and flat black. Too rusty to restore. I picked up a 50's Hawthorne tanker ladies bike and a Chainway Star Jet ladies bike from same era. I am ratrodding the Hawthorne as it was pretty rough. Other is my wifes new bike. lol. I am obsessive and finatical. I live for getting home from work and hitting the shop. Or riding. Pics will come soon.

"Too rusty to restore"

No such thing. My 53 Schwinn has pitting 1/4 deep that filled in nicely with body filler. It's still going strong. And post the serial numbers of your Schwinn, I can tell you when it was made.

I was never this passionate even about motorcycles. I guess it is that I am re-living my childhood and early teens and getting old bikes that I could never afford new. I love the search, the find, the bargaining with the owner, the feeling when they agree on a price and it is yours. Getting it home and poking around with it. The whole process. Then, when you get the idea for the paint or custom features or just clean it up. Cool feelings. I love it.

Markm said:
late welcome :mrgreen:
So, how far is Peru from La Porte???

I was wondering that myself. Plus, I see you play guitar? Me too! I will check and see the distance. May be some cool rat rides this summer mixed with a couple loud jam sessions. 8) Thanks for the late welcome! :D

right on!!! I have a few parts/bikes laying around you might be interested in.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
100_1493.jpg

100_1492.jpg

Hey, we will have to plan a trip to come up and see ya on a weekend pretty soon. My wife has been bugging me about seeing what is up that way. You do have some stuff I would like. :D

Will do! I will certainly be in touch! My wife wants to visit South Bend, she loves Notre Dame, so I think we will spend a weekend up north with one day in South Bend and then come and see you! Sounds like a plan to me! :D Man, you have some bikes I would say! :lol:

Back