Lurker goes legit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been lurking here for a while. Probably should introduce myself. I'm Ben. Got a Wife, 3 kids, 2 cats and 31 bikes in the basement. Actually the wife and kids are upstairs, the bikes are in the basement. The cats go where they please.
Here's one of the kids showing what she thinks of classic rock and roll;
IMG_6993.jpg

I'm mostly an English 3 speed kind of guy
IMG_1744.jpg

but there are some great trails down by the river so I needed something a little tougher so I wouldn't wreck one of the nice Raleighs. Came up with this;
IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

I've since picked up a proper mountain bike but this is the bike I reach for when I'm headed for the river.
I have a fixy too;
IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

The wheels are off of an old track bike from 1928,
IMG_7935.jpg

It was too small for me so I passed it on to a friend who put modern running gear in it. The frame was something that I picked up off the curb one trash day. My size, my color.
I've been tinkering with this recumbant some guy made in the 70s for a shop project;
IMG_0894.jpg

and I'm putting one of my own together. I'll post pics when it looks more like a bike.
I've got a pretty fast schwinn;
IMG_3035.jpg

and I just found this funny little Shelby Traveler from about 1940;
Picture3986.jpg

I'm sort of on a crusade about early american lightweights. I watched the diamond frame buildoff pretty closely. Something about a 26" diamond frame really gets me going.
I spend a lot of time at the Classic and Vintage Bike Forum but sometimes I like to get creative and there seems to be more of that going on here.
When I'm not building bikes in the basement I like to sail big boats;
100_0801.jpg

It's a seasonal occupation though so my wife got a job as a school teacher. that leaves me home with the kids for the next winter or two, till they go off to school. My cooking is getting better but my wife says the house still looks like a batchelor pad full of toddlers.
ok, nuff said. Glad to be here

Welcome! Where are you located?

I can totally relate to the Mr. Mom thing. I am currently working from home and taking care of my 4year old son and my 18 month old daughter. Your analogy of a bachelor pad is right on the mark. Less beer cans and more hot wheels though :D

There's a swap meet in Monson MA on the 22nd. About two hours ride (+ or-) from York ME

Welcome aboard Sailor Ben, there's always room for one more Gundalow captain! I'm reminded of the time I made the mistake of sailing my little Hobie across the path of an oil tanker a few miles off Odiorne Point... Fun times...

great pictures and a nice intro. welcome to RRB. maybe we'll see you in Monson.

welcome i live in maine too i live in bangor :D

Back