Made in England 10 speed from 60's ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this bike at a thrift store laying out back in the weeds. I don't have pics up yet but, it is a 10 speed with upright road cruiser bars, shimano eagle derailer and on the front derailer it says Thunder Bird. Has Archer rims that were made in England and even the original white grips say Made in England. I took the following numbers off the head tube...HCO887976. If this rings a bell with anyone please help me Identify. I will try to get a photobucket account to finally upload pics of it and other bike :roll: s. Thanks Oh, it took a 5/8" seat post slike my 60's Schwinns. Post and seat were missing though. :? Sturmey Archer hubs and rims Raleigh? Numbers were not where they normally are for Raleigh but, I can't place the bike from photos of other bikes on the web.

S.A. wheels not necessarily Raleigh. I doubt the Shimano dr. is from the same bike as them or the bars. If you are looking for one, the post that uses a 5/8" seat clamp is actually 13/16". :wink: You can also get one that uses the stamdard modern 7/8" seat clamp.
http://www.porkchopbmx.com/WALD-945-13- ... 945-15.htm

Thanks for the info. I must have read to tape wrong. I will have to post some pics of it. I'm sure someone will know what it is. Hard to tell from the info that I posted. :roll:

Is the frame lugged or welded? Welded would probably not be English.

It may not be an English bike with a stem the same size as a Schwinn. The eagle derailler also suggests an American bike.

It is a welded frame. Not lugged. Hey, on a seperate note, my Free Spirit frames are lugged, who made their frames? Thanks. So it could be a frankentstein bike that someone pieced together. :? I have built some cool looking things out of less. :lol:

If your free spirit says made in Austria on the head badge its made by Puch, not sure who made the other ones. Sears used bikes from all over the place.

Thanks for the info. I know I am talking about cheaper bikes, I just have a soft spot for them. :roll: My area is loaded with Sear bikes and Montgomery Wards due to the multitude of stores we had back in the day. Have yet to see anything but the department store bikes and Schwinns. But, I love what I find and have fun with it and that is what matters most. :D

It is a Huffy! I was working on another Huffy project and notice the similarity in the frames, read the number which were in the same location on both bikes. Thanks for all who responded with info. :)

Latest posts

Back