Mag Wheels On A Trailmate DeSoto Classic WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I picked up a pretty beat up Trailmate DeSoto Classic with Skyway Mag Wheels for real cheap. It was an old shop trike that someone welded a support brace to -- to make it stronger and also a steel plate on the back to make it a flatbed. I want to use it for much the same they used for - hauling stuff. Thing is the left rear wheel( of course it had to be one of the rear wheels) is a little wobbly. Not terrible but it's enough to effect the ride. I haven't tried changing the cotter pin yet as I left the trike at my sisters house after I used her van to pick it up. I didn't really get a chance to look at it as it was almost 10PM when I picked it up but I'm pretty sure the wheel is bent. In doing some research I believe the way these wheels work is they are attached to the axle via a cotter pin. Trailmate sells replacement wheels but A) they're pricey and B) those look like they bolt on whereas these slip over the axle and lock with a cotter pin.
This isn't my pic but I think it's the same as mine.
12331904_753619358075787_1636313781_n.jpg

So I know mags can't be straightened so I was wondering is there anyway of converting the axle over to a bolt setup? Has anyone done this? I'd rather have spokes anyway.

Thanks.

I don't know if you can convert them or not, but I have a trailmate with the same wheels. They aren't easy to remove.

I don't know if you can convert them or not, but I have a trailmate with the same wheels. They aren't easy to remove.
From the looks of it they have the same flaw as the old cottered crank. Which is over time they become almost welded to each other. At least with those you can heat them up and beat the heck out of them. I don't believe that technique will work with these plastic wheels.
It has really knobby tires on it. I'm going to put some road tires on it and see if helps the ride. If not I'll probably just put it up on Craigslist "as is." It was an impulse buy to make up for a really nice old Schwinn Town and Country that got away last week. Oh well. You win some you lose some.

Why don't you contact the Skyway guys directly? They still make mags, but not trike-mags AFAIK. http://www.skywaywheels.com/products.htm They might be able to point you in the right direction in terms of swapping out the guts.
Price, mainly. These mag wheels are crazy expensive. If I'm going to invest that much money into wheels I'd rather it be for something other than a Trailmate trike.

I heard a rumour back in the day that you could put those wheels in the freezer and they would straighten out, never tried it though...

Luke.

Yes, I've read freezer and also heat while researching them in the past few days. It might be worth a shot. I'm going to my sisters house today to get a better look at it. Hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is. I read that these Skyway wheels came from the factory with a higher wobble standard than spokes. So maybe it's just the way it is.

I'm saying, Trailmate might be able to set you up with info or even hardware for swapping the guts out of the existing hubs....I don't believe i'd buy brand new mags for that particular trike, either....

I'm saying, Trailmate might be able to set you up with info or even hardware for swapping the guts out of the existing hubs....I don't believe i'd buy brand new mags for that particular trike, either....
I've not been able to get the mags off mine, but the hubs appear to be molded in really tight spec to the axle. If they come off in one piece, I think the only thing that could replace them is hollow hubs.

Well, it's a good news bad news situation. Good news is I don't believe the hub is bent. Bad news is I believe the axle is bent or shot. There is a lot of play on both sides of that housing on that side.

I've not been able to get the mags off mine, but the hubs appear to be molded in really tight spec to the axle. If they come off in one piece, I think the only thing that could replace them is hollow hubs.
I think you're right on both accounts. I'm just gonna put some road tires on it and keep it under 50 and keep a look out for a deal on some hollow axels.

I've tried to upload pics upload pics but I keep getting an error. Same thing happened last night when I tried to upload pics of the wheels I found on Google.

I've tried to upload pics upload pics but I keep getting an error. Same thing happened last night when I tried to upload pics of the wheels I found on Google.
That could be your pics are to and the system thinks you're a hacker, which can block you from the site.
Or it could be part of the issue RatRod is tying to fix.

Back