Make metalic paint look older

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys-

I've got a bike with a really new looking metalic paint job, and I'd like to make it look older. I don't want to strip and/or repaint. Are there any treatments that would work with a metalic paint job?
Thanks,
-nuts n' bolts

How old do ya wanna make it look?

For starters,I'd WET sand it with 400-600 sandpaper.Its a messy process...THAT will take the gloss off.Keep sanding to get to primer or bare metal.(hit the metal with the salt solution)

~Antiques Made While You Wait~

I found a quick and easy solution: I coated the entire bike in black shoe polish. I gave it a minute or two to dry, then wiped it down with a rag. The result was a durable, dry, antique looking finish. The whole bike looks about 40 years older. The finish is totally touchable too. [note: I used this process for aging chrome, too.]
-nuts n' bolts

nuts n' bolts said:
I found a quick and easy solution: I coated the entire bike in black shoe polish. I gave it a minute or two to dry, then wiped it down with a rag. The result was a durable, dry, antique looking finish. The whole bike looks about 40 years older. The finish is totally touchable too. [note: I used this process for aging chrome, too.]
-nuts n' bolts

please post pics of the result

Back