making a swingbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rode necessaryevil's new swing bike today. It was the most fun thing I ever rode. I figured I could build one for a lot less than the 500 bucks they go for on ebay. This is what i'm starting with, two 26" boys frames. I'm going to run a 26 inch wheel on the rear and a 20 inch on the front. Blue banana seat, sissy bar, and ape hangers.
bikes006.jpg

Good Luck with it!

KustomKreator on here has one.I was afraid to ride it,but it DID look like fun.

Keep up this how to! I cant wait to see a 26 Swinger!

Since most of the parts came from a late night raid at oldrides house, I get to be the TEST DUMMY when it is finished, ok ?

I was searching swingbikes on the web and ran across this thread. Looks like you were off to a great start, Do you have any finished pics?

It is as far as the pics show. It's a slow work in progress. Couldn't ride it now if i finished it anyways. Hoping to have it done by our spring ride.

Here's a pic of the rearend now that I got some supports cuts and welded into place. Next step is going to be mounting the seat and making a sissy bar.
bikes011.jpg

Lookin' good.

Your chain stays will probably bend without additional support if you pedal very hard. My brothers bike had about four inches betwwen his side plate things and the crank. He bent his crank down riding wheelies.

i really want to see yours when its done. are you going to put a spring on it to hold the rear straight? or is it going to just be free to do whatever?

Swingbikes are a deathtrap if you stand up and ride them. They're more for just cruising and looking cool. I do plan on putting a spring on it. It's going to be an exact replica of a 20" swingbike, without the 20" swingbike price tag. So far I've got a grand total of zero dollars in it.

so far it looks great compared to my zero dollar bike! i cant wait to see how you build your frame! mine is definetly a deathtrap. im afraid more of it coming apart then wrecking! it is great fun though!

Back