making some changes to one of my bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I kind of got tired of the lowrider look of my stingray so i decided to take it a whole different direction.
before:
purple9.jpg

purple7.jpg

I got rid of the ape hangers, shortened the clutch and throttle cables, and removed the headlight. I added a caliper brake to the rear wheel because i'll be riding it kind of laying down (feet will be on bmx pegs on the rear axle). I have to make a new bracket to re-mount the rear fender, and i'm currently making new exhaust for it (chrome expansion chamber with a custom chrome muffler). I want to lower the front of the seat more, which will require chopping about an inch out of the top of the frame's seat tube. I cut 2 coils out of the spring in the springer front end to lower it (this got it about an inch lower in the front). I might cut off another coil to drop the front a little more, but i don't want to make it hard to steer. I don't want to get that front wheel out there too far.
Yes, i test rode it yesterday before i took the exhaust off, and it is really easy to ride. even tho i kind of lay on the seat, it's comfortable and the pegs on the rear axle make it so my knees aren't in my face. adding the caliper brake to the rear wheel is one of the best things i've done so far. it works so much better than the coaster brake, and with my feet off the pedals, i'll have to be able to stop it somehow. I just have to weld the muffler to the chamber, and then i can re-mount it to the engine. I was going to try and make dual pipes, but there's not enough room under the frame. (chain and kickstand are in the way)
how it looks as of right now:
lowrider2.jpg

lowrider3.jpg

Peatbog said:
That is cool. Interesting how that engine fit in that relatively small frame. That gives me ideas...

yeah, but the thing is no one makes this engine anymore.
It's a typical china 49 c.c. 2 stroke, but it doesn't have the standard intake manifold (tube) that's common on 99% of these china engines.
the carb on my engine is bolted right to the cylinder, which moves the carb about 4 inches closer to the cylinder.
With the standard style intake tube, there's no way that it would have fit in the frame (unless i went with an offset intake tube so the carb would clear the seat post tube.)
the frame is a 20" schwinn stingray knockoff, not a true schwinn.

Re: making some changes to one of my bikes..update

I got the rear fender mounted(had to make a mount for it) and I chopped about an inch off of the top of the frame's seat post tube to lower the seat in the front.
I made a cool speedometer out of a chrome bullet headlight that i had.
I had to make a new lens (made it out of a c.d. case) and i put a schwinn digital speedo inside the headlight. I made a mounting bracket for the headlight and mounted it under the neck, so the lens faces the rider.
I made and printed a mooneyes gauge face, and cut a window in it so you can see the speed on the speedo.
it's not perfect, but i think it looks pretty cool, and it;s just the right touch to add to the hot rod / drag race vibe.
moonspeedo3.jpg

with the rear fender back on and the seat lowered even more.
moonspeedo4.jpg

moonspeedo5.jpg

I would very much like to know/hear that engine working with that exhaust system! very beasty! :D

I prefer the low rider look because those straight bars don't work for me. I would put some boardtrack handle bars there.

However the bike is really nice because the engine fits perfectly on the frame.

Cheers

essenciaaa said:
I would very much like to know/hear that engine working with that exhaust system! very beasty! :D

I prefer the low rider look because those straight bars don't work for me. I would put some boardtrack handle bars there.

However the bike is really nice because the engine fits perfectly on the frame.

Cheers

well, the bike was actually a little harder to ride with the ape hangers on it. with the lowered front end and the drag bars, it's actually easier to ride.
I'm a little guy (5' 6" 150 pounds) so it's easy for me to ride a low, small bike like this.
yes, the exhaust is an expansion chamber with a baffle that I modified and it sounds really cool.
the muffler looks like it's just a big open straightpipe, but in fact, there's a baffle hidden up inside of the pipe.
I'm currently modifying the exhaust once again and it will consist of the expansion chamber and a new muffler, that will dump out on the left side of the bike under the kickstand.

I liked the lowrider look too, but it's been this way for almost 3 years now, and i was kind of bored with it.

well, i wasn't happy with the speedo gauge face that i originally made. i had to shrink the moon logo and it got all pixelated....Not good enough for me. The window that i cut in the gage face to show the speed wasn't very straight and the lens was pretty cloudy. I made the first lens from a c.d. case.
here's how it originally looked up close:
moonspeedo2.jpg

I made a new gauge face and found a better looking logo that i didn't have to shrink to fit. I also made a new lens out of some thinner , clearer plastic, and I cut the window for the speed much better this time around.
How it looks now:
moongauge1.jpg

Latest posts

Back