Malvern Star 2 Speed Hipster (More photos up)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Malvern Star 2 Speed Hipster (Warning, credit rod content)

stretch said:
can we get some side shots? :wink:
'Zackly, like this. :mrgreen:

bike3%20073.jpg

Let us know how that two speed is.

The 2 speed is pretty cool. Very quiet, doesn't seem to be much friction loss at all. I wonder if the coaster brake could be a little stronger, maybe they get better with some wearing in? I'm runing a fairly high gear ratio, which is good, means there's only a fine tweak of the pedals to change gears or brake. Considering the price, i think it's totally rad, would recommend to anyone and everyone.

Side shots on the way... be patient.

Looks good 8)

I don't know about all of them, especially newer ones, but my experience with internal gear coaster hubs has been that low gear provides much better braking than high. For that matter, coaster brakes in general work better with lower gearing. :|

When you say they work better with lower gear ratios, do you just mean they work better because you're not going as fast? Or is there something to do with the sprocket size that affects braking? I've gotten into the habit of shifting up just before I brake with the 2 speed, because braking makes you shift again, so I'm in the lower gear to take off.

Greater lever advantage. I once had a manual shift under drive low/direct drive high Bendix, with a 52t front sprocket I had to stand on it in second to get anything, whereas in low I could easily modulate the brake all the way down to lockup with a very light push on the pedal.

It's pretty light really. I carry it up the steps at work with one hand. Most of the weight is in the rear hub. And the rims are heavier than they need to be, a standard profile or even a regular deep v would be lighter. No way is it to heavy to haul around all the time though. It's easy to pump it up hills with the high gear ratio, and I outpace a lot of roadies, fixies and hybrids onmy daily commute.

im in the middle of a skid star resto ill pop pics up when im done

good job on this one too by the way

heres a rat one i built up a while ago

DSCN3868.jpg

i have now sold this one hence the reason im doing a custom one

I may have a line on another one fo these fit for a resto. But I've been digging this one so much I want to do another hipster styled one. Someone say Mich Seatpost?
images

DSCN3868.jpg

I like those tiny fenders. Have you thought about using a pair on the new bike? Maybe painted in a Black & White checkerboard pattern.

i used the old rat to check the stance for the new one, its out getting mods

heres before we decided on the mods, this was used for the measuring for wheels and stuff and to workout what i need to do

i got monark forks coming from the states, they will need a strip and be painted blaclk, shorten so the wheel just fits
3 speed hub
sports shift
black giant brooks in the pic
the tires in the pic are the 1.75 i will be using the 2.2 but i am waiting

DSCN4113.jpg

Latest posts

Back