Manta-Ray Reissue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,
I've got a problem, that i'm sure most of you who have dealt with banana seats would understand.

my ... is too big.
hence, small banana seats hurt.

so, in an attempt to alleviate the problem, i thought, "Hey, ill just get one of those old Manta-Ray seats. That looks comfortable"

well,
when i saw the going price for one, i decided to tough it out.

so, heres my 2 part question for y'all.

does anyone know if the manta-ray reissue had a wider banana seat on it

has anyone attempted to use their welding prowess to make a wider seat pan from 2 seats and then recover them.

is that even possible?

Anything is possible with enough patience and ingenuity. I'd say easiest way to do it would be either cut the seat pan into quarters like you would doing a chop top on a '49 Mercury and add in some metal to make it wider and/or longer. Weld it back together, and throw new foam and fabric at it.

OR

Lay a metal sheet over a sand-bag and beat the snot out of it with a teardrop hammer till you get the shape you want trim and cover.

Interesting idea by the way.

Take your original seat pan, cut in half, weld in a new 2 to 3 inch piece and recover. In another thread is where I made my own, like others before me covered them with leather and carpet padding in mine.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27973&p=275233#p275233

S5032279.jpg

S5032278.jpg

Latest posts

Back