STBO Stirrup: the Hornets' Nest

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a decent 2x4 and some additional hardware so I can straighten out this frame over the weekend.

I also ran by storage earlier today to pick up a frame to practice this frame-adjusting technique on before I try it on Stirrup. I got this 24" AMF step-thru for free last year, and it just became a parts donor for some other AMF bikes I'm working on. It's down to just the bare frame now, and it's not one I plan to rebuild anytime soon, if ever.
BftD_ff_4-23-23_4.jpg

I also grabbed two 24" rear wheels, one with a coaster brake, and one with a cassette, so I can practice adjusting the stays, not just for alignment and straightening, but also to expand or narrow the space for either kind of wheel. Hopefully I'll be able to try this technique out tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Okay, I've hit a snag with this project. Yesterday, I tried to practice cold-setting on this frame, but no matter how much pressure I put on my plank of wood, I just could not get this frame to open up beyond my initial ~11.5cm measurement. I tired adjusting the frame on the floor and on my work stand, but it didn't matter either way. I know the seat stays on this frame are a little thicker than on Stirrup, but I would think that doesn't matter. So... is this frame just built different, or do I just have chicken arms? Honestly, I'm not that strong, but I would think that I could adjust this frame with enough leverage. Any ideas as to what I can do?
BftD_Stirrup_10224_1.jpg
BftD_Stirrup_10224_2.jpg

They spring right back where they were originally because the tubing is strong. I would take the 2 x 4 and slide it up to where the tire sits then hammer it foward, which widens the dropouts considerably.
On that frame I would line up the 2 x 4 between the seat stays and chain stays at the same time and widen them both together that way. I would widen them well past the width I needed then remove the 2 x 4 to see how much width it still had. Once it's wide enough, then the dropouts need to be lined up as they will point outwards.

281045-BftD-Stirrup-10224-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back