March 64 violet Stingray.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0

I saw this bike in a junk shop about 3 years ago and couldn't afford to buy it at any price. And boy their price was way too high. Fast forward to this afternoon. I stop in after lunch and make a substantially lower than sticker offer and leave expecting not to hear back. 20 minutes later I get a call and they let it go. No haggle. Super stoked. I had to take it apart and do some cleaning this evening. It's not exactly "finished" yet but here's tonight's progress.

Looks like an Opal Violet one. Is that a 36 spoke rear s-2 on there? I have the same bike with the same fading problems. Nice find.

Looks like it. Great score if it's got the original wheels. Hard to find for the early early ones. Looks like you had lot of good parts waiting for it.

It is a 36 spoke center stamped s2. I might hang it up and put one of my 2 speed wheels on there just because i love the way they ride with a 2 speed. The tires are just an experiment. A placeholder til I find something better. It's the earliest stingray at my house currently. And I like it. Glad some of you do too.

Nice score there Dork! Man that bike came a long way in a couple of hours!

A 36 hole center stamped rim is an early Sting-Ray one, what month is that frame?

Congrats man!

Thanks man. It's a March 64. I can't wait to take it out for a ride.

Nice score there Dork! Man that bike came a long way in a couple of hours!

A 36 hole center stamped rim is an early Sting-Ray one, what month is that frame?

Congrats man!

He made it a long way in a day right? I think I spy a correct non-crimped sissy on there too. Only thing I see out of place might be the cranks? Are they longer?

There's a trick you can do with photobucket. If you enlarge the pic on there and right click it you should be able to copy the image URL. If you do that the images will expand to original size when you click them like this.

20150127_190738_zps58f652c9.jpg~original

Killer bike. Looking great so far.

He made it a long way in a day right? I think I spy a correct non-crimped sissy on there too. Only thing I see out of place might be the cranks? Killer bike. Looking great so far.
good eye Chad. Yeah that's a non crimped sissy bar. I had 2 but sold one to buy more accessories for my super deluxe. The crank is off of my august 65 coppertone which has a slight case of bent frame disorder right now. Don't worry about her though , the therapy seems to be working. Slowly. So if I'm not wrong ( which I usually am) the crank is longer on the 65 than the 64. One other thing I'll point out is that the front wheel us a WALD replacement I had laying around. It will only be on there until I get the original cleaned and greased.

Great Score and story on this bike. I love those early coaster bikes.
Me too man. My first violet ray. I have a 2 speed blue band wheel I'm going to put on it. Keep g to original on the shelf for later.

Got to take it out for a ride tonight with my son. It rides great. Weather was great too.

good eye Chad. Yeah that's a non crimped sissy bar. I had 2 but sold one to buy more accessories for my super deluxe. The crank is off of my august 65 coppertone which has a slight case of bent frame disorder right now. Don't worry about her though , the therapy seems to be working. Slowly. So if I'm not wrong ( which I usually am) the crank is longer on the 65 than the 64. One other thing I'll point out is that the front wheel us a WALD replacement I had laying around. It will only be on there until I get the original cleaned and greased.

Longer cranks will be a nice upgrade especially with a 2 speed.

Both original rims on an early bike...wow what a score! Those rims are what made me decide to start modding instead of restoring. My '64 came with 2 non-stamped S7s...then my education began on the rims.

Short frame Stingrays are fun! Lot more sporty handling than the long frame.

Last edited:
Longer cranks will be a nice upgrade especially with a 2 speed.

Both original rims on an early bike...wow what a score! Those rims are what made me decide to start modding instead of restoring. My '64 came with 2 non-stamped S7s...then my education began on the rims.

Short frame Stingrays are fun! Lot more sporty handling than the long frame.
this is my second 64. The first I owned before I knew anything about stingrays and I pretty much gave it away to buy part of a krate. Glad to have a shorty to burn around the hood on.

I got the 2 speed on it tonight. It's too dang cold to try it out though.

Spent some time with the heat gun and a plastic scraper. Got all the goofy reflector stickers off. The purple is kinda brittle so I'm taking it apart t o spray it with a good clear overcoat. Hopefully get some tires without major cracks in the sidewalls soon. I'm going to have to sell some of my parts hoard to fix up some projects before it gets warm out again.

Back