Marvin's Pride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a friend pass away a few months ago, I ran into his wife a couple days ago and she told me how she was just thinking of me as far as what to do with his bike, I only heard he had a Schwinn that he was going to redo someday, I had never seen it, and actually forgot about it.
I guess he got it brand new when he was 10 and his wife was saying how he was the proudest kid in the neighborhood when he rode it. I am glad she trusts me to do the right thing with it, so its mine now, and I have my work cut out for me...I just can't rat this one.
1957 Schwinn Jaguar 3 speed

Drop all that chrome in oaxylic acid and see how it tiurns out.Would make for a beautiful rebuild if that's what your buddy was gonna do someday.Id stick to his wishes and just og the whole bike.Ive got a 49 Schwinn B6 that im gonna restore to factory condition.It was my wifes uncle that bought it brand new in 49!plenty of bikes to rat but some have to take priority and just be shiney and beautiful again. :D

Wood bleach from the hardware store, Oxalic acid is the active ingredient :wink: If you can't find that you can also use vinegar, works just as good just takes a little longer.

Great story and find! I know you will do Marvin proud!

Where do you get oxalic acid in Calif....??

yes sir that would be wood bleach.Home Depot has it for like $10 bucks for a tub of it.Mix a little in with water in a tub that will submerse the entire object in the solution and walk away.after about 10 or 12 hours I pull the chrome piece out and scrub the yellow off it.If you let the yellow stay on too long it sometimes gets hard to get off in tight spots.Then drop it in for another 10 or 12 hours and then polish that baby up.Just make sure to scrub down the frame with dish soap soon as it comes out and WD40 down the inside of the tubes to deactivate the acid and displace the water so it doesn't start rusting the inside of your tubes.

Latest posts

Back