Matching Electra Rat Rod matte black paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just joined this forum after finding a sweet Electra Rat Rod on craigslist. It was in fairly good shape but needed a little bit of work. I have replaced the handgrips and have been cleaning things up a bit, and a lot of bolts needed tightening up.

She's looking pretty good but the biggest problem area now is the bottom of the rear fender. It's pretty beat up and scratched, so I was going to try to smooth out the metal a bit, and touch up the paint. Does anyone here have a suggestion for a matte black paint that will match the stock paint on a Rat Rod from Electra? Thanks in advance, great forum here!

Welcome, I like to take the fenders off, gives them more of a hot rod look. You could always cut the fenders shorter also. Post a picture of your new find.

Thanks for the replies, and I do want to get some good pics of our bikes when the weather's nicer, but last night it was raining. In the meantime, here's a pic of the fender... note the wife's Karma next to it, it's all her fault that I have this new toy! This thing is a lot of fun, I feel like a kid on my old Space Invaders bike again. We went from two bikes to five in the past few months... they have filled up the shed so I have been building a "bike garage" (aka small shed) for these beasties to free up some space in our main shed in the backyard.

I really like the way the bike looks with the fenders, so I think they'll stay. But never say never, right? Just trying to fix up that back end. You do have a good point about doing the whole fender rather than touching it up. The thing is, I really don't mind the little nicks and gouges and scrapes that the whole bike has because they're not quite so obvious as this area is. This looks damaged versus used.

If I can't touch this area up successfully, I'm also considering a mud flap mounted to the outside of the fender, to cover the bottom part of it. Still considering some options.

That fender doesn't look too bad to me. Instead of hammering out the dents, try to find something to ROLL out the dents. Then hit that bottom section up with SATIN black. I'm pretty sure flat black will be too flat and not match at all. No matter what, keep those fenders on there! 8)

Yeah, that picture probably makes it look worse because it's focusing on the worst part. Overall the bike looks pretty good.

I did have another thought about the sheen of the black paint. What about touching up the paint with the closest black I can find, then just hitting the whole fender with a clear satin / matte / whatever lacquer matches the overall gloss of the bike the closest? I think this would eliminate most of the inconsistency of the touch up.

Closest I think you will find, and good quality paint to boot, is Dupli-Color semi-gloss black. I forget the stock number but it's something like 1607. Check on the barcode or stamp on the can, it can be hard to tell if you've got a can of black primer or one of the other paints they make.

You want semi-gloss. Here's what it looks like.

47schwinn_x3.jpg

Here's the paint on an Electra Rat Rod:

block09bikes58.jpg

I agree with the others, do the bodywork on the fender first. Lay down some thick cloth or leather on a bench, and get to work rolling out those dents.

Good luck!
--Rob

leave it man! they didnt call it a rat rod for nothin! :wink:

NLCTVWguy:
That's exactly the type of info I was looking for, thank you. Those bikes look great.

stretch:
Yeah, if it were like the rest of the bike which shows some wear, I wouldn't have even cared, but this was more damage than just wear.

I tried smoothing out the dents, with limited success. The metal is pretty creased and bent and while paint would help, it wouldn't completely cover it up. So, I wussed out and just covered the bad area up with an Electra mudflap. I'll have to get some pictures up of the finished product, it looks a little odd but I actually like it.

Some day down the line when I want another project I may do some more extensive paint work on it, now I'm just waiting for some better weather to ride the thing more! Almost done with the "bike garage" too... we had snow(!) this morning but the rest of the week looks like it'll be better weather.

Wow I just noticed a big problem in your story there my friend: "We went from two bikes to five..." stated like there's something unusual about that.

When you're up around 50 like me, some people will think maybe you have a problem....

There is no cure, but this site is therapy. Or maybe enabling. Its' hard to tell which.

:D

--Rob

haha i got to 16 and it was too much for my garage. it may be large, but its filled with (my parents) junk. :roll:

stretch said:
leave it man! they didnt call it a rat rod for nothin! :wink:

That's the answer right there.

I like the abuse. It gives it character. It makes it more real. Those factory rat rods are cool (I'd love to have one) but the only way to get any real character is by age and use.

A body hammer and dollie should do the trick.Im always a fan of Krylon semi flat paint.Or duplicolor flat black both turn out nice.I just painted my bike in the duplicolor.No pics yet as its not together but i would try some good ol baggin out or just say screw it and go no fenders!

Krylon Rust Tough Semi Flat Black is great paint (looks great and is very durable). It should be a pretty close to the Rat Rod paint.

Back