Matte black bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think matte black is too common? I've always wanted a matte black bike, but I've also always wanted a different looking bike. Ive seen a lot of black bikes on here lately, so do u think it's a little over used?

if its your bike i say paint it any color you want whether anyone else likes it or not. when i see something i dont like, i try to appreciate the time and effort that went into creating it, even if its not my style.

X-RAY said:
if its your bike i say paint it any color you want whether anyone else likes it or not. when i see something i dont like, i try to appreciate the time and effort that went into creating it, even if its not my style.
+1 well said!! I appreciate alot of bikes that i would never build it would be a boring world if we all had the same taste 8) Here is a pic of one of my bikes that is matte black for inspiration
0024.jpg

IMO yes its to common , many other colors look as good in mat finish Charcoal Gray/blue white , its just harder to find

Flat black is a classic look that will always look good, you just have to know how to add those custom touches and tricks to make it stand out from the other many black bikes. It's like riding a black sportster to sturgis, it better be crazy or you won't even get noticed.

I thought the same thing before RRBBO7, but I went flat black anyway. I think flat black with red, white, gray pin striping with whitewalls is way overdone. Its a classic look, but overdone. For my flat bike, I went with chrome rims, black tires and used a mixture of sublime green, orange and blue striping. I think it sets it off enough to be different while still using my favorite color (flat black!).

Honestly, I don't think it is the paint that really makes or breaks the exceptional looking bikes. I've seen bikes in flat black, red primer, gloss colors and even regular old rust that blew me out of the water. I think it is more about choosing/fabricating the right parts that work and flow together.

Me...who cares if it may be over done! If you would like one..... than go for it! My next build is going to be flat BLK with bright Red Rims wrapped in Fatty "Os" wide whites......

Go for it! who cares what others may think...build this one and go for different in the next build! its always about the build!

Good Luck! I look forward to your pics

FW

Flat black goes on easy, hides well and is easy to touch up, plus it looks pretty good even if you use the cheap stuff. 8)

It may be common, but not to my 8 year old. When I showed him a matte black bike with red rims and white walls his eyes nearly popped out of his head! So, I'm building him a custom one for Christmas. His won't be common at all. Not around our neighborhood at least.

CRASH said:
...His won't be common at all. Not around our neighborhood at least.

That's something to keep in mind. Even though matte black might be all the rage lately, more than likely there are still relatively few in any given area. You may see a lot on the internet, but not on the street.

Just build what you think is cool. You don't have to defend your style to anyone.

Well, anything that I turn out for Plan9Customs normally leaves my shop in suede but that's since most don't want to shell out the $ for a quality paint job so I just shoot some dp90 on it so it won't turn to rust bucket. Unless its my stuff then I'm just to lazy to paint it but I may want to later so its in primer and can be shot at any time I feel the urge.

Back