May of '71 Cotton Picker...Boom!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This bike showed up in a farm swap shop on Facebook today and a buddy thought it was something I might be interested in...ya think[emoji23]? I about died, less than two hours from my door. Been hanging in a barn for years, guy said his kids would have ruined it so he stuck it in the rafters. It's crusty but seems to shift and the brakes work. Tire is rotten and the Schwinn headlight is rusted through on the bottom but the accessory mirror is in good shape. Never thought I'd find one of these. Not sure what I'll do with it, need to sell something to keep it or may move it down the line. It will be "the one that got away" if I let it go. Regardless, I'm pretty excited at the moment.
d811e08e818cf0fa18781582306a52d2.jpg
02dc24d24b3c418a27e6afaedee65d58.jpg
edc9121d2c281e80e7de2edacc215d02.jpg
15ad9f53dcfd2ceb7add3628771825d7.jpg
f28db2e56cbbcc7123c71f74f139be4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice find! That is a great one, worth the trip and the uncertainty on it :grin:

It looks like it might clean up pretty well. Do a little cleaning and I bet you keep it. If you need to get some money back on it, I bet the light and mirror would get you a little for both of those accessories. If you need a silver Sting-Ray decal for the mirror let me know I have a few I'll send you one.

Congrats!

Nothing cleans up like Schwinn chrome. If it were mine, I'll tear it down to parade rest and clean/polish every millimeter of it. Keep everything original, even the paint, and it will be worth a lot more to the Schwinn fanatics. If you decide to sell it you will be handsomely rewarded. If not, you have a great looking bike!

Nothing cleans up like Schwinn chrome. If it were mine, I'll tear it down to parade rest and clean/polish every millimeter of it. Keep everything original, even the paint, and it will be worth a lot more to the Schwinn fanatics. If you decide to sell it you will be handsomely rewarded. If not, you have a great looking bike!
I agree! I told the prior owner that he'd be surprised at what that chrome will look like but in his eyes, it needed a repaint and everything rechromed. The fork is a bit rough regarding the chrome but the rest will come around I think.

Don't have the time and space to break it down at the moment due to other projects but took some time today to give it a bath and do a bit of polishing. Schwinn chrome never ceases to amaze me. I stuck a new tube in the rear even though it's pretty much gone but now I can roll it around a lot easier. Chain guard is amazing, I'm happy about that.
457bddcd3fe75a5a08fa2fd2515f116d.jpg
9711a7a8b7019f3f1eaa09b45a6987c7.jpg

Latest posts

Back