Mayhem in Miami

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friends was on I-95 on the other coast in Miami. He saw two bikes in the hash marks between the slow lane and an exit. He figured someone would return for them. A web mount carrier was with them apparently jettisoned from the owners vehicle. Four hours later they were still there (I’m surprised) so he brought them across the state to me. He is a neighbor on my street.

Doesn’t look like anything really valuable here. He brought a 1978 Schwinn Traveler III ten speed and a Republic Aristotle factory fixie with a flip rear wheel that has the freewheel on the opposite side. I don’t own any derailleur bikes and have never worked on them. I’ve ordered a crank puller, bottom bracket remover and freewheel tool. Never owned any Presta tubes either so I ordered some Presta to Schrader adapters.

The Republic fixie has several dents in the frame and a poor repaint. I started disassembling it to make a shop stool. When I get that done I’ll post the stool separately.

The rear wheel on the Schwinn is badly bent. There is some road rash damage to both bikes.

I think between the two I might make something for the winter buildoff. I'll only disassemble the Republic (Which I have sawn up) for now.

20220917_123739.jpg

20220917_122409.jpg

20220917_122417.jpg

20220917_123921.jpg

20220917_124013.jpg

20220917_124020.jpg

Unfortunately, the Traveler has a bent frame. Near the head tube where the paint is gone is where the bend is.
In the picture it looks like you mean under the missing paint behind the top tube lug correct? I'll try to check it with a straight edge tomorrow.

The angle of the head tube is too steep, probably ran into something and the forks didn't bend, the frame did. The angle of the seat tube and head tube should be about the same.
Here's a 78 Traveler III frame to compare:

1663481412701.png

Unfortunately, the Traveler has a bent frame. Near the head tube where the paint is gone is where the bend is.
You were correct Wildcat. The frame is bent on the bottom side of the top tube and down tube just behind the head tube lugs. Guess I'll tear it down for the few parts I can recover. Glad it was free. Thanks for the heads up.

Back