(MBBO#04 Class 1) '68 Junior 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks OddJob. Yes the chainring is the small ring (39t) from a Varsity. It was also used on a lot of the Schwinn Scramblers. That's what gave me the idea. A bigger ring would probably be better with the 20 inch wheels but it's hard to fit much bigger on this short frame. The Stingrays with gears all had the 52t mag sprockets. Seems to work ok for him. He's still getting used to the gears.
Actually I think 39t is probably perfect for him....I was thinking it was the big ring from the Varsity! Gear ratios will be perfect on the long rides...spin baby, spin!

Thank you Fellas.

He hadn't been riding this bike much and said the big apes were too big.

Problem with the small apes is not enough room for the trigger shifter. There's really not enough room for a brake on them but you can kind of squeeze a lever on there.

I made him some extensions out of some alum tubing so he could try out the small apes. Since he takes better pics than me I let him snap a couple shots of it.

jr6_zps6avvdrzs.jpg~original

jr7_zpsfraz75zk.jpg~original

I was going to order him a new set of those (Wald 870s) but I spotted a set of bars for a Sun tricycle that look like the same bars but with longer handles. So I ordered a set of these to try.

31%2BIJsYZsFL._SY355_.jpg

He wanted some black lock-on grips so I picked him out a nice set of those too. Lock on grips will also help if we need some extra room on the bars.

Here we are stopping for a quick break on our ride. He's got a weird baby tooth thing going on right now.

jr8_zpszhimhvbg.jpg~original

Tried talking him into test fitting the new tires but he didn't go for it. He asked ma about it later though so we might try that out soon.

Gonna have to get real lucky with some painting weather for this one but at least it's a runner.

Last edited:
Good luck with the paint, I haven't had the best luck with mine. I don't know if it's the weather or the paint I'm using.

The sun should warm it up today, but with the rain coming in tonight it might be humid.

Bike looks cool, dig the knobbies.

Those new bars on order should work well. Can't remember, what color is the kid's bike going to be?

He wants white with some black faded into it. Mainly in the front to blend in the fork and stem. Then a black chain guard with some possible fade shenanigans on that.....but that all depends on timing/weather/ambition.

Falstaff, it does look pretty rugged with the knobbies on there but we've got a more pro street setup ready to go on there...:D

Paint. Warm the cans up in the sink under some hot water. I hold mine under the HOT tap and then shake em' and then HOT and then shake em' again, repeat until they stay warm. Bring the frame in overnight too. Drag it all out into the garage (or wherever) and then warm the paint. I did this in the middle of winter and brought my frame back in after painting and it all turned out fine. It came out so well, I always warm up my paint now, summer or winter.

Carl.

Good idea Carl. There is also a welding booth at work I could paint in but outdoors will probably be better for the fade.

Had to test fit the new tires this weekend. Not too bad. Skinny rim kind of shrinks the Chase Hawk in the back.

tires2_zpsj2pehmyl.jpg~original

Got the new bars in so will probably fit those this weekend. Still not feeling real ambitious about doing the paint job.

That Chase Hawk still looks FAT! I love those tires, the ones on my Joker build are some of the best I have ever ridden on, just watch out for wet mud... ;) They are a semi-slick after all!

Luke.
I think the narrow. Rim:
Makes the tire look ,beefier ,,at tread.:cool2:

Thank you guys. The tire looks normal from that angle and the big logo looks kind of cool with the tire rounded like that. From the back it looks skinny. Skinnier...it's still a fat tire.

Luke i bet they slide in the mud but they do surprisingly well in grass and snow. They don't get along with the walnut shells at the park very well though. I had to cut up some old tubes and make liners for them. Kept getting flats.

I'm not a fan of red bikes or cars, but I actually understand your hesitation on repainting this one.

Not a big fan of red either but I'll keep it if it's pristine like the Huffy paint. I don't care about this paint so much just feeling lazy and uninspired. :21:

Good thing is the drivetrain works mint as do the brakes. He says it flies on the new tires.

Last edited:
I had to go back and look at this whole thread progression again. You took this from a rugged kids mtb look to street tough with those tires! Found the up close shot of the tires a few posts back, those are, as we used to say back in the day, "Slick!" :nod: Has real muscle vibe to it! I could def see a paint job on this now to top it off. I understand your hesitations in trying the fade paint he is requesting. And I know full well the desire to be engaged with and working with our kids on projects they are passionate about. Maybe show him some of the cool paint jobs on this forum (and others) and see if there is a solid color that he might go for instead of the fade..? Sometimes if we make it "his idea" the transition isn't quite so hard. Oh wow....sorry about that. I just slipped into my child development professional mode...:bigsmile: I'm sure you guys will come up with something cool - you've got a great bike there so far!

Thanks OddJob. There you go. Get me going on this bike...:p

I'll do the paint how he wants it. He actually has really good aesthetic sensibilities. It will be a pearlish white with a couple shades of silver/grey leading towards the metallic black. Like my Scrambler from last years mbbo. He actually helped me come up with that color scheme.

paint4_zpsm562mevd.jpg~original

paint5_zpsctjioq2y.jpg~original

Black fade helps blend in the black (or carbon fiber :D) fork and stem.

Installed the new apes today. Glad I looked around because I was going to order another set of wald 870s and use some lock on grips.

Here is the problem with those.

ape_zpsgcupqv2y.jpg~original

Found these Sun trike bars that have tighter bends and more room at the top.

ape2_zpsjkudkhol.jpg~original

Plenty of room now and the bar goes all the way to the end of the grips.

ape4_zpszkpgvppl.jpg~original

Out for a quick test..Little chilly out but we'll get used to it.

ape3_zps5ndqs1mo.jpg~original

I think a less chunky stem might look better on this.

Thank you guys. The new bars are working out great for him to ride with. We went to a field by the house to toss the frisbee and he wanted me to get a vid of him doing a skid in the dirt.

This will not be painted by the end of the build off. He's not super concerned about the paint and is having fun riding it. We'll have a good time with it in the spring. He actually didn't even want to paint it at all until I put the violet Fair Lady guard on it..:giggle:

We'll make it super nice later. I've got a lot of things to tweak visually before I would deem it paintworthy but he likes it.

jr9_zpshh6fr8za.jpg~original

I'm real happy with the way it came together mechanically. '68 Junior with indexed 7 speed and v-brakes makes me feel like this guy...:21::21:

Latest posts

Back