(MBBO Class 1) Colonel Rusturd

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
May as well jump in on this one, ya? Building what has come to be a PITA overall but it keeps pulling together better than I thought it would. I've started with some crap Mongoose BMX from Wal-Mart in an attempt to make something fairly cheap and fun to ride. I think fun to ride is about all that I can still reach haha.

Mongoose KO "Custom".

10661725_10154564417670607_4354504756481379171_o.jpg

Stripped and clean aside from a few spots.
10668926_10154574781110607_1423923378574537932_o.jpg

Parts laid out, waiting on a longer steer tube to come in since the adapters made the stock 5.5" too short.
795QYmT.jpg

Mocked up roughly.
6TXL0xJ.jpg

Finally got a longer steer tube, and luckily found a stem to fit since BD.com sent me a steertube for a cruiser rather than a lowrider springer. Matched up everything and mounted the wheels/tires.
xcp7Kgi.jpg

Love the build name!!

diggin it,nice bit of real estate at the front do do a design,thats the exact color I is after,pray tell?

I mixed up the typical vinegar based rusting spray and rusted it a handful of time, maybe 3. It did get rained on once real good as well so that may have helped.

This bike has been pure torture parts wise. I thought I had it figured out but now I learn my bars don't fit the stem I found that fit the steer tube which was the wrong size.

Apparently it needs 1 inch bars instead of 7/8. Not sure how to remedy this for free or dirt cheap, but I'm open for suggestions.

diggin it,nice bit of real estate at the front do do a design,thats the exact color I is after,pray tell?
I was in my RC hobby shop picking up some airbrush paint, and I noticed a nice rack of earth tones. Greens, greys, tans, coppers, Including that rust color. The guy said they were flat acrylics, and if i wanted them flat topcoat with matte urethane, or top with gloss or semigloss if I want shine. Cant remember the line of paint though.

Grant has obtained it naturally in this build. :)

Grant, look up handlebar shims. They adapt 7/8" bars to a 1" stem. With tall apes though, you may need a 4 bolt bmx type stem to keep the bars from slipping.

This bike has been pure torture parts wise. I thought I had it figured out but now I learn my bars don't fit the stem I found that fit the steer tube which was the wrong size.

Apparently it needs 1 inch bars instead of 7/8. Not sure how to remedy this for free or dirt cheap, but I'm open for suggestions.
Yep shims bro, I got/had the same problem. Cracked my stem after I carved out some metal to allow it to close more... haha the aluminum still cracked because it wasn't supposed to close that far... new stem and shims did the trick.

Carl.

Grant, look up handlebar shims. They adapt 7/8" bars to a 1" stem. With tall apes though, you may need a 4 bolt bmx type stem to keep the bars from slipping.

I've got one in the garage I'll see if I can't fit. My LBS is pretty bad parts wise and a single shim is a bit silly to order.

The BMX stem I had will work. I'm trying not to spend too much more other than the seat and tires. I'm thinking about all white tires and a black/white banana with big sissy bar.

Sounds like a good plan! It should be pretty cool, are you using the new chain wheel that I spied in the parts box or the original? The original mag style is unique and would be great if it cleaned up nicely. I may have to locate one for a future build.

Back