(MBBO Class 1) "The Judge 5": Closing argument.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plasti dip! Good pick, I hope it works like you want it.

I understand about the cracked tire. I had a deep cracked carslile and a uniroyal chain link on back, on my hi lo, so i put a pair of brick treads on it so i felt comfortBle taking it some distance. For toodling around short distance, was fine, but I knew if I continued to use the cracked ones I would end up with a buldged blowout on a ride, no fun...

This is excruciating work. It takes me roughly an hour to set and tape a set of 6 letters, then 3+ coats, then tear down and do it again. The 2nd set is getting painted right now, and the 'K' was holding down, so it may look like crap with overspray I'll have to attack, which means more time.

My Plan 'B' is a NOS Carlisle tire that I can paint a white stripe and paint the raised letters. I hope it doesn't come to that, but this is proving more difficult than I anticipated.

I've thrown in the towel. Way too slow, and I'm having problems like the masking tape ripping up parts of the already painted letters. I'm going to paint up for my NOS Carlisle, but I found out that my white paint pen is out. So... off to get one tomorrow.

In the meantime, I finished up blacking out the rear tire. It came out really well.

Started the assembly....

RLOu32.jpg

Need some side-pull caliper brake expert advice. My front brake won't center. I'm not sure what to do as I've never had one not center like this before. I turned in on it's axis and tightened it. I've tightened the adjusting nut in the front to the point the brakes barely move. I've also pulled the spring out on the affected side (the right side) to get a stronger pull out out of it.
What have I missed? Why won't it center up and pull evenly from both sides?

I don't know about you all, but I think opening NOS parts is bittersweet. I love em, but at the same time they have survived in their packaging for 40+ years, so opening them is losing that history. However, I try to imagine what the part would want. If I were the part, I would want to be used on a ...... restoration. So I show each part the bike, explain how they'll be helping excite people towards their badazzedness, and hopefully get them on board with the team.
NOS parts on this bike:
-Front Carlisle tire
-Red glitter brake lever grips
-Huffy headbadge
-Bottom bracket
-Freewheel
-Sissy bar head rest
and these Wald 7140 pedals...
q0enNL.jpg

Well, my assembly is complete. It was a really crappy day with clouds and drizzle all day. Yesterday was so clear and sunny for pictures. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as nice for the test ride and final pictures in the sun.

As I'm staring at it, I'm not digging the single white line on the front tire. I wanted to balance white between the two tires, but I think I overshot the mark. Tomorrow I'm going to have to come up with a solution.

I like to introduce the new parts to the bike as well...my parts get so confused as to what they are doing in their new home...sounds like you're done...can't wait to see the final pics!

I tried a different technique with painting the letters on the front tire... the results were worse. I may try a last minute finish with the billboard tire, but I'm not holding out hope. In the meantime, I give you my...

Latest posts

Back