Mbbo/Orbo?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What dates should the MBBO/ORBO run this year?

• 10/1/2021 to 2/1/2022

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 11/1/2021 to 3/1/2022

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could start a build. But the MBBO falls right into my busy season at work. Super long hours, extra days all through the holidays till January. The last couple years I haven't been able to finish a build until last year when we extended till March.

I certainly cannot Admin it this year. I just won't be available.
Jump on in!

I'll keep things rolling during and @RustyGold is going to wrap it all up at the end

IMG_20211003_155830763.jpg

20" just donated... I guess I have some parts. Disc brakes front and back. I'm thinking maybe a mudder. lol. GC.

Last edited:
yeah that's where I was headed.... on November 1
I'm thinking of grafting the top half of a tourer or something similar, to the top of the little fat tire bike for a time trials bike / mini velo type stance and stretching the stays to fit a 26" fat tire rim I have, that I'd have to relace to this 20" rear hub. That gives me the big / little tire combo in case it has to slide over to the Muscle Bike BO. If it doesn't fit any of the ORBO "catagories" it's easy to manipulate the MBBO rules to fit 2 of 3. Now I just gotta source me some funky apes. I'm still liking the "Chop Suey" name. Fits my Off Road Muscle idea.

:crazy: Carl.

Last edited:
My birthday is coming up. I "told" the wife I wanted to go back to the scrapyard and get the rest of the old bike frames, every last one of them. They have about a dozen. I have a hunch I need to endure some concessions to make that happen. I need those frames to make up a bike for this build off.

My parts pile for this one grows by the day! Picked up a couple of Walmart BMX bikes and about half of a Columbia Coyote today! MBBO ready
Did you get the Coyote chain guard?

Listing MB names while messing around. Found a Crackerjack and Executive, cute.
Crackerjack1.jpg
Executive 3.jpg

For OR I'm thinking... 97' Santa Cruz Heckler or Proflex 856 and shine it up like this Scott.
Scott.jpg

I have a frame ready, one which I bought as a parts bike last year to supply me with a range of bits. One day I might actually rebuild and sell it as I do not really need it - it is a very nice, straight frame that rides well but it is not a Romet, and I try to limit my riders to old Romets. Well, it is actually a Kross, and my daily rider is a Kross, but that is not the point ;)

The biggest problem is that the frame is too small, so small in fact that every turn requires conscious effort to move my foot out of the way of the tire.

AM-JKLXvnKfTXt7aAxH1X0Hoy7zF0XQvfHgj-0dQtEH5nExMID6Z5QMLvqj-U5bzRrZEbSe0AU5P1oc8z_JDX7Kw7v6iwQH5cYfegGCZVB7J_1SjVETdg9br5Iw9IuDY4PthXoyIsHJ_Z4qExhVdj0fR2Y4f0Q=w1249-h955-no

What it needs is the front wheel moved forward.

It is supposed to be an off-road bike for 2022, so it needs suspension as well.

It also needs the rear wheel kicked back a few inches.

Then there is the gas tank - and a seat.

SRAM 3-speed coaster brake hub and short-stroke cranks from a Zasada

And many other bits of metal I have found around the farm.

I prefer to work with a simple single pivot. My intention is to make a fun interesting hybrid:)
Ventana made solid single-pivot offerings and the first generation Titus Motolite was also a great single pivot design. Converting a single-pivot MTB frameset for use as a hybrid, just go cheap because dirt performance and endurance really don't matter. Ride What Ya Brung

TBH I've never even ridden a bike with rear suspension... Was going by all the rave reviews

Those reviews were based on either ignorance, or from those who tried to reassure themselves that they had not merely bought into the hype that is the most excellent marketing of that company.

Latest posts

Back