Merlot: A custom Schwinn Meridian trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may have seen in some of my previous posts that I was going to build a sidecar for one of my bikes but then decided instead to just get a trike. Well, first time I took it out the freewheel stripped the threads on the hub, called up Schwinn (Pacific Cycles) and they immediately rushed me out a new hub and freewheel. Got that all back together but I'm still getting a slight clunking noise when riding from the rear somewhere. I've read things that say it can be related to the retaining nuts on the bearings not being tight enough but I've gone through and tightened all of that.

Anyway, picked up a wine crate today and some real wood hand grips. This is just the start. I am probably going to re-varnish both the grips and the crate in a darker (more antique looking) varnish. I've also installed a more comfortable memory foam seat. Other plans include:

- Wine bottle corks for bar-end plugs
- Small ATV battery mounted in watertight container in wine crate to power headlight and taillight
- A power port hooked to battery to allow charging of cell phones, etc...
- Chrome vintage hotrod looking headlight and taillight
- Whitewalls (or possibly cream colored balloon tires)
- Chrome cup holder
- Car horn (possibly an air horn with chrome horns)
- Probably some kind of tow hitch
- Custom license plate that reads "Merlot"

kdg4.jpg

e6gd.jpg

nwgx.jpg

gfpm.jpg

I always prefer wooden cargo boxes over wire baskets. Very well done without over doing it.

Got the box done in Red Oak stain, going to try to get it back on the bike soon and take some more photos.

Okay guys, it's been like a year but I've got some updates. The box and grips have long since been stained red oak and I'm about to do a few other things:

- Electrical system, 6V. Will power turn signals, brake lights, horn & head lamp. Will try to hide most of it and do it as plain looking as possible, nothing overly flashy. Will also have a USB charge port later on.

- White wall tires

- Front light will be mini wine bottle with some LEDs in it, not really as a headlamp but more as a marker lamp

- Custom license plate that reads "Merlot"

- Will probably put a lid on the wine crate, it acts as a drum and amplifies all noise from the drivetrain, very annoying while riding.

- Hub covers will be replaced with metal champagne cork tops

- Seat will get a new covering, either leather or some kind of plaid/paisley

Y5NqaRA.jpg

B2jhqTd.jpg

vWP5zVc.jpg

B3Mu2rU.jpg

SsCL5kf.jpg

Yut2neC.jpg

DETjoMC.jpg

Started working on the electronics control box for the bike. Now if I could just find a horn that operated on really low voltage (3v-6v).

FE6iQcH.jpg

Last edited:
Back