Met a new bike guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I met a new bike guy today when I was out, Holy crud, I thought I had too many bikes. This guy is LOADED!

I was riding through an alley and saw an old Colson frame sitting outside a garage kinda rusty, kinda unattended, I go up to the door to ask about it and about trip over piles and piles of bikes in the yard. 150+ easily just outside. He says no I'm restoring that one it. :cry: Oh well, But he says he'd make me a deal on a different one and proceeds to show me through the piles, I mean Schwinn, Hiawatha, JC Higgins, Sears, Columbia, spaceliners, Colsons, two Ben Hurrs!, and lots of other tank bikes outside. He says "Oh, these are nothing I keep the good ones inside." I say "the ?GOOD? ones?, What are these?" The garage door opens and I felt like I was standing in the door of Fort Knox.

All restored, Elgins, Schwinns as far as the eye can see, tubs of parts like Schwinn stingray 5 speed suicide shifters, nanner seats, bat-wing lights, train lights, racks, grips, fenders, and other parts, a 2-1/2 car garage FULL of bikes and parts, old 1930's and 1940's tricycles hanging from the rafters, bikes on one wall two high on shelves, rows and rows of bikes, few newer ones too but nice ones like a Torker. Very knowledgeable guy too. Loves showing off his collection, Then I make the mistake of asking what's in the sheds? The sheds being 2 about 24' X 24' mini barns. "Oh more bikes" :shock: :shock: :shock: Again two bikes high, rafters full, all the way full, organized but full.

One wall is just covered in cranks, he says oh these are the ones I've scrapped over the years. I wanted to cry. Skiptooths, JC Higgins, Hercules, AMF, Murry, and most with perfect chrome. DROOL................. :shock:

Good to see I'm not the big bike hoarder of kokomo....lol. I look forward to getting some money and doing business with this guy. I'll ask if I can get some pics next time I'm there.

did you pinch yourself? :lol: you gotta invite him to join our brotherhood. 8)if hes been in this long enuff to have that much stuff, just imagine what he knows!

X-RAY said:
did you pinch yourself? :lol: you gotta invite him to join our brotherhood. 8)if hes been in this long enuff to have that much stuff, just imagine what he knows!

Yeah I did that first thing. He showed me some printouts he had of every bike he has restored and some of the original ones, everything is factory correct right down to the last detail. He said he doesn't really mess with computers much but I told him half the guys here would go nuts for just what he's got outside rotting into the ground, not to mention the sheds or the garage. I'd say all in all 300+ bikes, and 90% have tanks, and mostly heavyweights and I have yet to see inside the barn at his other property........He said they are mostly older middleweight and lightweight ones in there. Guy's in his 70's and he said he's been dragging home bikes since he was 8!

thats what i mean, imagine the knowledge he has! i wanna be just like him when i grow up! 8)

masterpoop63 said:
pichures? pictures or it didnt happen :mrgreen:
Yeah!...what he said...I don't wanna see a 1000 words, I wanna see a pic worth that much :mrgreen:

TheFlyingDingo said:
I say we tunnel into his house
if we do i call all the wheels from the bikes outside :mrgreen: then it wont be me but everybody else that has bikes that need wheels :mrgreen:

I'll try to get over there today and at least get pics of the yard. You guys will go nuts. Just the outside stuff looks like my buddy mark's collection times 10.

IJamEcono said:
I will meet Flying Dingo there to help dig. I'm just up here in Wisconsin.

Yeah just get your coordinates right and take a compass with you digging or you'll hit the big lake and your basement will flood..... :mrgreen:

Wow. I would think that was a tall tale if you hadn't been so specific.

What a great find. New best friend?

Yeah just get your coordinates right and take a compass with you digging or you'll hit the big lake and your basement will flood....

Yeah, no kidding. I'd be like Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles. "Lake...Big lake"

oh my! dude, i just woke up and this is the second post ive read today. thanks for starting my day with a laugh :lol: thats classic!

Lonewolf said:
Wow. I would think that was a tall tale if you hadn't been so specific.

What a great find. New best friend?

Oh yeah, definitely my new best friend. I've heard stories about the guy and his collection for years around here, I thought it was kinda an urban legend, I never saw it for myself, Now that I have seen it I know what to strive for. He said most are in the "Not for sale" category but he said there are some he'd consider letting go.

The general rule around here is if you don't have pictures it didn't happen...kinda like a UFO or a Big Foot sighting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back