Metallic Purple Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had regular automotive paint put in spray cans before at an automotive paint supplier. It costs a lot more, but it's good stuff. If you can get a auto manufacturer paint code for the color you want, or having something that is the right color that they can scan to get the formula you're all set.

You can get an aerosol spray bottle at O'Reilly or Auto Zone and put auto paint in it and spray your bike or get auto touch up paint in a small can.

Voyager Al said:
hobby shops have the small cans. im almost posotive they have purple metalflake. Testors brand

Yup should be by the models cars, They are smaller cans but they work just fine.

dogdart said:
Or you could even consider top-coating a metallic blue with red Metalcast paint , which is basically candy paint , the result would be like a candy purple

they have a purple metalcast also, spray it over metallic silver or the duplicolor metalcast base coat and it looks like purple metalflake

schertztx said:
dogdart said:
Or you could even consider top-coating a metallic blue with red Metalcast paint , which is basically candy paint , the result would be like a candy purple

they have a purple metalcast also, spray it over metallic silver or the duplicolor metalcast base coat and it looks like purple metalflake

I used the purple metalcast over silver metal specks ( both DupliColor) on this build.
IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

You could also try it over a gun metal gray metallic to darken it up if that's what you're going for. Another option would be to spray more coats of candy to darken it up but I doubt that it would get really dark, just a richer color.

Peatbog said:
deven_science said:
Another idea would be to paint it purple, then put on Duplicolor's metallic clear coat. I've used it that way for other colors.

Didn't know about that stuff either. Thanks.

BlackJack--another good idea. Maybe I could try metallic gold as a base coat also.

Their clear is called clear effects or clear fx
After seeing the thread from udallcustombikes, I knew that was the purple that I needed, so I painted a cranbrook for my mom with the duplicolor silver base and purple metalcast, here is the frame in an iphone pic, sorry.
purpleduplicolor.jpg

here is the fender that is part silver base and the stripe is the metalcast over it. again with the bad pic, but mom has it now and I can't get any more better pics easily. :D
metalcast.jpg

Try http://www.Testors.com. Yeah the hobby people that make the plastic model paint in those small jars. They have a laquer line of spray cans that have a purple close to what you're looking for. I did my spaceliner in their green with two cans. Then I over sprayed it with Duplicolor Effex then clear laquer. It came out great and didn't cost a bunch. Lots of sparkle on a budget. Here's some pics...

Picturebike2.jpg

tank.jpg

Picturebike4.jpg

trhee.jpg

Back