Middleweights, lightweights & heavyweights

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can you tell by the serial number or is it just a matter of learning what the look like. I.E. fame tube diameter, cahin ring style...?

As for Schwinn, heavyweights are considered "Balloon" Tired Bikes S-2 wheels (26x2.125) these bikes are heavyier and were produced up until the late 1950's. Middleweights look about the same such as frame and fork, but the dropouts are a little more narrow. These bike had S-7 wheels which are a tall narrow 26" wheel. also quite abit lighter. Middleweights were produced in the 60's and 70's. Lightweights are the roadbikes and dimond frame bikes with skinny wheels/tires. hope that helps...

RawBert said:
As for Schwinn, heavyweights are considered "Balloon" Tired Bikes S-2 wheels (26x2.125) these bikes are heavyier and were produced up until the late 1950's. Middleweights look about the same such as frame and fork, but the dropouts are a little more narrow. These bike had S-7 wheels which are a tall narrow 26" wheel. also quite abit lighter. Middleweights were produced in the 60's and 70's. Lightweights are the roadbikes and dimond frame bikes with skinny wheels/tires. hope that helps...

Yes it does! So this is most likely a Middleweight:

IMG_0041.jpg

Serial number:

IMG_0089.jpg

Thanks!

It has to do with wheel size and frame dimensions.As far as Schwinns go Rawbert was right but left out a lil sumpin sumpin. A Heavyweight frame ,measured between rear stays, under the fender mount will be 3". A Middleweight 2 3/8".Also, many Middleweights were equipped w/SA 3 speed hubs and caliper brakes. So the fender mount is different if made to facilitate a caliper.These were made to compete with the flood of imported "Racer" style bikes, and were introduced in the mid 50's.And yes Lightweights are the "Skinny" tired bikes, But again, as far as Schwinn goes, I'm pretty sure a lightweight was not truly very light!Then it gets even more confusing in the late 70's and early 80's because now some Heavyweight models are 5 speed and caliper brake equipped. So now it mirrors a middleweight frame! A quick measurement ends all doubts pretty quickly there though.Confused? Hope not! Enlightened? Hope so! Later & PEACE!!! :mrgreen:

lightweight anything with 20,24,26x 1 3/8
middleweight anything with 20,24,26 1.75 or 1 3/4
heavyweight 20,24,26 with 2.125

it is a broad term and yes there are bikes that blur the lines but this is a simple guide

what wheels are you using? if they are the original s-7 wheels the felt tires wont fit. if you get regular aftermarket chrome cruiser wheels they should clear but you might have to remove the fenders. the early schwinn middleweights you can sometimes get lucky with stuffing 2.125 tires in those

karfer67 said:
what wheels are you using? if they are the original s-7 wheels the felt tires wont fit. if you get regular aftermarket chrome cruiser wheels they should clear but you might have to remove the fenders. the early schwinn middleweights you can sometimes get lucky with stuffing 2.125 tires in those

The original rims had seen better days, so when I got the nexus hub I also put new wheels on. I had pretty sizable tires on the original wheels at one point, but I can't remember how big they were--I do remember they were considerably larger than the originals...

Certainly makes ordering online exciting (not knowing if it will fit). I'm pretty attached to the fenders, so if the tires don't fit I'll save em for another project.

Latest posts

Back