Might have blown a decent deal..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to look at a bike from CL last night. It was a Nirve Classic single speed no handbrake model. The rear hub was trashed, it needed grips and the seat was tore up. Overall it was ridden pretty hard and the guy was huge, a semi-pro football player. Anyway, I could pick it up for $50 should I go back? I figure the frame is probably worth that but I'm not sure.

Would you buy that frame & fork of $50?
+ you'd get the other parts too?

That's how I'd think about it. :D

Coaster brakes are fixable. Depending on the brand (Shimano, Hi Stop) you should be able to order new internals or swap from another hub.

Lots of times Coaster brakes just need the proper adjustment to work like new as there is not much to mess up.

Got it, now waiting for camera batteries to charge. Resisting the urge to go out and fool with it. The hub was really loose but I think the damage is already done. There is probably more than 1/2 rotation from pedal to brake. I'll have to take it apart an look. Good excuse to get a wider wheelset though...

scrumblero said:
i bet grease and a wrench and its good as new... :roll:

A little more than that unfortunately. I decided to open it up and take a look. The nut on the brake arm was so tight I just left it on and took it apart from the drive side. As I loosened the nut, the cog unscrewed and the bearings fell out onto the bench. :? The other parts looked okay other than the washer between the nut and coaster arm, it's all bent out of shape. The hub was off center and the brake arm is a little tweaked but that's no biggie.

Back