Mini Cooper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Social Reject said:
Just to stir the pot a little:
Lots of folks consider a Sportster 1200 a Chick's bike...
My room mate unloaded his Anniversary Sportster,(only a chick would put up with that chassis :p ) and bought a loaded SS Camero, today, as in just got home showed it to me, and took off for dinner with his gf. I hear they've improved Sportsters dramatically in the last couple of years, but seriously, I wonder how many have fallen over the years for the false notion that they're easier to ride than a full size HD. :?

my wife's had one for about a year. i've only driven it a few times, pretty zippy little car- i imagine the 's' really scoots. running through the gears merging onto i-25 i looked down and the little thing was pushing 90 before i knew it. oops. if you like buttons and funky little features you never knew anybody wanted you'll like a mini. btw- her road bike fits in back with the seat down and front wheel off. :)

Sweet car Dean, I like the minis but it is kinda annoying to me to look to the center of the car to see how far above the speed limit I'm going.....lol. I only took one for a 30 minute test drive so I guess you could get used to it. I also got to drive a Mini Cooper S Turbo at work (I'm a mechanic) A world of difference and I tell you those are NOT a chick car, They've got some
DSC00549.jpg

Or since we are on a bike forum here you could always save some gas and double the horsepower !
minibeijing.jpg

Bigfatwhite walls thats what im talking about, very cool. 8)

social reject,
most my ex's and current girlfriend owned/own civics, they are great cars, i drive them alot...i dont care for being in traffic next to the dude with a truck tho.
I think the deal with bikes is, what are the manufactures providing, a 650 enduro is up on the top end of cc's, very reliable, functional and fun. You ride a 650 cruiser, it better be stripped down and tuned to keep up with most bikes, my pops has a 1700 road star...torque is king. A sportster, like a civic can look great, be fast, fun to own, but still alot of chicks ride them.
I still think in all reality, its not what i think about what you drive or ride, what anything really is, its all about fun Some peoples fun just happens to comes in more manly ways than others.

Still im sorry, prius... i would ride my bike very far everyday before i drove a prius, i work on all of my stuff as much as i know how, i dont know squat about battery engines, recharging brakes, and all that hybrid stuff. I do know some about engines and would buy a honda fit that is in that somewhat catagory. Looks have alot to with it too, the hyrbid look reminds me of books in the 80's showing future cars.

This is a cool mini run at Nürburgring, may have a honda motor but w/e that guy is running really fast for such a short wheel base.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrk8bfo ... re=related

Here's my 'chick bike' Sportster, I know it's kinda girlie so please don't tease me. :oops: :oops: But when people do make fun of me I just tell them that Evel Kneivel didn't jump all them cars on a girls bike.

:oops: :lol: I gotta start wearing my glasses more often, I thought 'Billyolds said they were a 'cool chick car' not 'chic car'. :lol: :oops:

:lol: Look at the discussion that started! :lol:

P7180164.jpg

MINI+Cooper21255024302.jpg

This is my daily driver. It is a 2010 "justacooper". What it lacks in horsepower it more than make up in handling. I'd almost say that it'll out handle my Porsche. It's comfortable for short and long haul driving and on my last 300+ mile road trip it got almost 50mpg with the cruise control set well above the posted limit. Yup chicks love my little car; it's too bad the MINIs weren't around when I was single. :wink: From what I can tell on the forums, more guys own these than girls if that really matters.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/
http://www.mini2.com/

My mom has one (she is 63), downsized from her Chevy Envoy. It is the Sport model with auto trans and manual over ride, no blower :( . It is fun to drive and handles great. It is remarkably spacious. On my first drive years ago I took my wife (shotgun), father in law (6'-5" in the back seat, he had headroom) and his wife. With the seats down there is a lot of cargo room. Even with the seats up there is room for....nevermind...

However, I do not like the way it shifts. Too hesitant, Reminds me of someone slipping the clutch really bad. But I'm partial to a 5 speed. Dont know if the slow shifting thing is just model specific or if they have made changes recently. Hers is maybe 4 years old with over 100K. still nice and tight wth no rattles or squeaks. maintanence has been minimal.

As far as the central mounted gauges, I'm used to driving by the feel and sound not so much by the dials so I dont mind. I usually dim out my dash lights to nearly dark at night anyway..

Today i traded cars with a friend of mine, drove his brandy new Honda fit. I though it had a little more body roll and a somewhat noisier than the mini (obviously different retail levels) but it shifted amazingly well for an automatic. Almost intuitive and sporty. I think it's just a base model.

A friend of mine resto-modded a 63 mini, put some $ into the motor, nice bucket seats, did some bod mods (welded the seams on the inside and ground off the outer raised seams) and bolted on mini lite wheels and gummy rubber. That thing was loud, quick and fun. But I would not want to run one every day (and I've owned some hot VW rabbits).

I really like the Clubman for the extra space and easier back seat access.

ej599 said:
Here's my 'chick bike' Sportster, I know it's kinda girlie so please don't tease me. :oops: :oops: But when people do make fun of me I just tell them that Evel Kneivel didn't jump all them cars on a girls bike.

:oops: :lol: I gotta start wearing my glasses more often, I thought 'Billyolds said they were a 'cool chick car' not 'chic car'. :lol: :oops:

P7180164.jpg
Thats BA, i wish i had tho over my gs anyday....wanna trade 8)

Thanks BillyOlds but I wouldn't sell my rigid framed-dual plugged-iron head-hot rod-sportster-chopper for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars! 8)

hmm.... sounds familiar.

ej599 said:

P7180164.jpg
Sweet bike :wink: I'm surprised I never seen you at Guido's bike night, even though its in Manchester CT :roll:

Back